REQ: Free Cup Holder with Every Service Pack

Heh, no not a real cup holder ;^)
I'm going to put in a request for the SolidWorks installation CD's
to automatically eject when you're installing a service pack. When
you have to keep switching the CD's around, it would help if the
CD would pop-out when the CD-ROM drive is ready to be fed
another SW disk.
I guess this would also work when you're doing the original install
as well.
Does anyone think it's a good idea? or will DVD's make it a moot
point.
Mike Wilson
Reply to
Mike J. Wilson
I think it is a great idea to include an eject cd function when there is changing of CDs. DVD should make it moot for a while but CDs only started out as needing one to install. So I am sure that in the future programs will reach the 6GIG install marker needing 2 DVDs. after all at one time my dad's friend paid $700 or more to get 8mb of RAM and he thought it was the greatest thing. Now low end computers ship with 32 times that. And people here want 384 times that amount with the 3gig switch.
Corey
Reply to
Corey Scheich
Personally I would expect that they'll screw up the function such that the CD ejects when you least want it to and will refuse to be reinserted. Be careful what you wish for (you might get it).
'Sporky'
"Mike J. Wils>
Reply to
Sporkman
Mike, I made a folder right off the "C" drive called SW_Install and put all three CD's in that folder then installed from there and all is good. SW never asks me for a CD when installing SP's.
Muggs
Reply to
Muggs
Have you considered using a VIRTUAL HARD DRIVE, good idea for storing images of your CD's. Ram Disk is a piece of software that springs to mind. Go here for the home webpage
Reply to
Brian Lawson
I would love to say "your welcome" but my VAR told me how to do it. There's a setup.exe on each CD, so ignore the "Overwrite this file" message.
Muggs
Reply to
Muggs
Actually I was considering using my older version of this software...
It's a pretty amazing utility, but I'm trying to avoid installing anything on my newly formatted HDD unless I absolutely need it.
I have version 7, which still works with WinXP, but I don't trust it 100% (may cause a random crash).
If you like to play games that always need the CD to be in the drive, this software will 'trick' the computer into thinking there are additional CD-ROM drives installed. You simply copy your game into one of the 'virtual drives' (as a single file with a .VCD extension) and never worry again.
This works great for younger kids, so they don't have to swap CD's around when playing their education software.
Mike Wilson
Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Site Timeline