Revision tables

Can revision tables be part of the sheet format? - the option to add one is greyed out when you are in "edut sheet format" mode.

I currently create drawings using a single blank drawing template, together with several different sizes of sheet format. I'd like the revision table to already be in one or the other (rather than having to add it every time), but if it is in the template then it will need to be repositioned to suit the particular format.

How does everyone else work this?

John H

Reply to
John H

What about the revision table anchor? Do you have one set in your template?

Reply to
That70sTick

You need to have it in the drawing template in order to edit it, ie. add revisions. As Tick said, use the ancor to position it. The ancor is set in the sheet format // Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Thanks - that gets me part of the way there.

I'm still not sure how to set it up so that I don't have to either:- a)Manually add the table in - do I add it to the template? b)Manually specify that it should be locked to the anchor point.

It seems that if I add a rev table to an empty template, then create a drawing using this template with the appropriate sheet format, I still have to manually set the option to lock the table to the anchor (the option is greyed out when editing the template). Is there a way round this step?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

revision table anchor? Do you have one set in your

Start a new drawing add the titile block of your choice.

1)Edit sheet format and right click a point on the drawing and set it as an anchor for the revision table. You anchor will usually be a point where 2 lines meet or intersect. 2)Go back to edit sheet, Then go to insert-tables from the drop down menu and selct revision table check the table anchor and make sure the anchor is where you want it to be and make sure the box is checked for attach to anchor then click the check mark and the table will be inserted at the anchor point you selected in step 1. 3)Save as drawing template and your done.

Hope this helps^^^ Stew

Reply to
thestew

So is the only way to achieve it without any subsequent user intervention(i.e. getting the rev table to already be in a new drawing in the right place) is to have a separate template for each sheet size, with the sheet format already in it so that the table can snap to the anchor point?

John H

Reply to
John H

one step further, you can have the table already inserted into template.

Reply to
kenneth

Thanks - I was doing that, though. :-) The weakness so far with this method is that I have to have a separate template for each size, each already containing the sheet format and revision table, plus I still need separate sheet formats for each paper size so that I can switch sheet size if I need to do so part way through working on a drawing.

If I try to do it with just a single template containing a default sheet format (i.e. default paper size) and a revision table, it doesn't then prompt me on drawing creation to ask for what sheet size I want. I then have to RMB the sheet properties to change it.

Or am I missing something?

John H

Reply to
John H

How big of a problem is separate template files for each size, really? For users (whose competence levels can vary drastically), it's actually more convenient, with no configuring required.

Reply to
That70sTick

can have the table already inserted into template.

Well.... that's how it works. We have one sheet format and one template for each size plus a few others for layout drawings with less informative drawing head. In the template You save Your predefined tables, dimension standard, fonts and so on. When it comes to change size during design or detaling it's not that much of a problem eather, just rmb (right click) the sheet in the tree and take properties. Now You can choose wich size You want. Just remember to save each sheet format in the template. Also remember to add both template and format in file location in the option settings.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Create a sheet format for each drawing size. Create a new drawing using tha sheet format. Insert the rev table anchored to the corner desired. Save as drawing template. Repeat for all sheet sizes and template styles. Done. Having a blank template and then adding the sheet format after the fact is doing it the hard way and it is unnecessarily time consuming.

BTW, inserting a rev block is easy, even after the fact because SolidWorks already knows where to put it as long as you have a "normal" drawing border.

As far as swapping sheet sizes constantly? As one get more experienced, this will eventually become unnecessary except when there is drastic expansion of information on a drawing when adding extra sheets is not appropriate (a rare occurance).

It just sounds like things are being done in a way that is much harder than need be.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

can have the table already inserted into template.

Oh, I see now? I have always used seperate templates for each sheet size. I think that's the way to go. Haven't tried what you are trying to do.

Reply to
thestew

I have an issue along these line & I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not.We are migrating from autocad to SW 2007 sp 0. Our title block doesn't scale with the sheet. The text will scale with the sheet scale , but the border & lines do not. I have to move it in the X / Y axis by a value according to the scale & then scale it by the scale value. Only border & lines, the text needs to be unchecked not to scale or reposition. Any help would be appreciated.

weevoe

Reply to
weevoe

"weevoe" wrote in news:KmkIi.15295$No2.4969@trndny07:

Are you scaling your title block, annotations, etc. so that your drawing views are 1:1? If so, that is exactly the wrong way to use SW. It's one of those AutoCAD ways of doing things that needs to be unlearned. Set the appropriate scale for the drawings views, and keep the border at true paper size. To get 1:1 drawing geomety in an exported .dwg, save as .dwg, click on options, and find the options for "scale output 1:1".

If that's not the issue, then please clarify.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

It's not that big a deal. But if you want to subsequently change sheet size, you also need a full set of sheet formats, which means twice as many files to modify when you need to make changes.

John H

Reply to
John H

It might be a rare occurrance [sic] for you, but I regularly start off a new project using an existing one as a base design, if the shape and type of features are similar. I frequently then need to make major size changes, which means the views no longer fit on the drawing, and halving the view scale (e.g. from 1:4 to 1:2) makes the text disproportionately large, and the dimensions jump out of position.

Maybe one day I'll be as experienced as you and will have designed every conceivable variant.

John H

Reply to
John H

No, SW usually scales the sheet automatically to what it thinks it should be. Quite often it will come in as 1:12 & I will reduce it to 1:8 by RMB and going to the properties to change it or whatever makes nice use of the space. My problem is the lines in the title block come in as 1:1 however the text in the title block comes in to fit the sheet scale...whatever it is. I made a template with a title block & border in it from an imported .dwg. Could that be the problem? I did have the border inset from the full size so I did as you suggested, moved & resized to full sheet size but the lines still remain in the corner.

weevoe

Reply to
weevoe

Hmmm. I can't remember ever having that particular problem before. Is everything on the sheet format, or is some on the format and some on the sheet?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I'm not sure of the difference between format and sheet but i think you may be on to something. I remember trying to insert the title block while editing the sheet format and nothing showed so I went to edit sheet & inserted the title block. I'm thinking I may want to create a .slddrt file along with the.drwdot file to accomplish what I want to do.

thanks,

weevoe

Reply to
weevoe