Saved by backup software again!

Yesterday, there was a big problem with a fairl large model. As it turned out, I was able to reload a copy from the previous days automatic backup. Some of the parts had design changes but when the two came together there were very few errors to correct.

Currently I am using Norton Ghost and so far it has saved me a couple of times but it seems like I always have to baby sit it. The program should be totally automatic and I have a 160G dedicated HD, (twice as large as needed) for the backups but every few weeks there is some type of issue that I need to "fix". SO HAS ANYONE BEEN HAPPY WITH A DIFFERENT automatic backup PROGRAM? If there are any good recommendations I would be interested in looking into them. Besides I want to get away from Symantic products completely

Thanks,

EdT.

Reply to
Ed

I just use the Task Scheduler and a batch file using xcopy or xxcopy to do daily backups. They're not compressed, but it doesn't sound like you need that. I actually do two separate alternate-day backups to different directories so I cover my butt from two directions in case I over-write a good file with a bad one.

Reply to
BobCP

Take a look at ViceVersa, has lots of features. I have used it for about 5 years or so.

You can set it to keep X number of copies of previously overwritten files, I set it to keep the last 5 copies of changed files.

John Layne

John Layne

"Ed" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

It recalled me that I wanted to install such soft..

Found Cobian Backup and SyncBack that i'm going to try someday, both having a very good word of mouth.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Acronis True Image has been the "A-list" choice from PC Pro magazine for quite some time.

John H

Reply to
John H

We also use the batch file and good ol' xcopy to two hard drives. Never had a problem with it yet. Heck of a lot easier to restore one or two files if needed as well. Just go to the folder and copy it back to the working folder. No problems with having to uncompress it or any of the other things most backup programs have ya do to restore a couple files.

we use the acronis software to backup the C: drive to a second hard drive in the local computer D: drive. the second hard drive is a separate drive and not in a raid setup. this D: drive stores about 3 images of the C: drive (i also use this D: drive for all temp files for the computer). we have acronis run a new image once every week. of note: when i upgrade a version of SWx, i have kept a copy of the acronis image with only windows and standard operating software in it, i use this image on a common computer setup. then i just install SWx on this system and take another image of the computer. this image i deploy to all common computers, it takes only about 1/2 hour and all computers have a clean image of windows and SWx that has very little time on them. and my upgrade only takes a couple of hours to install on 12 common computer systems. works very well.

for daily items we use old PKZIP 2.04. we setup a logoff batch file that copies off specific directories, zips them up and stores them on a network drive. these get overwrote every time the logoff script runs. my network drives on a filer setup have the ability to store previous images of its hard drives in spare area and is split up into separate network drives. i have a lot of spare area on this filer system. to access these previous versions of each specific network drive, you need to RMB on the network drive letter and select properties. there is a tab on ours that states previous versions. from there you can see the previous images of the network drives on this filer system. you can browse them as you would any drive. but you have to copy the specific files that you want to restore to an alternate location. you cannot add to these previous version images only copy items out of them. this filer is setup via a Windows server

2003 and i believe that this is standardly setup on install. because of the available space i have previous versions going back 2-3 weeks on some network drives.

also remember that there is the backup capability on the local computer from inside of SWx.

all of these along with a good tape backup, local and remote location run form the IT group, we have not lost any data or have not been able to recover any old data due to these efforts, as most of these items are automated now.

i always try to give myself multiple data recovery methods because telling the boss that we have to start again is unacceptable. iQ

Reply to
iQ

[...]

SyncBack

It backs up, synchronises, filters files - It works - IT'S FREE

Reply to
Nev Williams

BackUP My PC has very good compression and allows backups to any where you want.

Roland

Reply to
Roland

I just use WinRAR, wrote a batch file, follwed some of the commands, and put it into Windows Scheduled Tasks, backing up dailiy incrementally with a one day full backup.

It's the best compression, requires no memory until it runs, and shuts the computer off when finished. I have 5 office, and 3 floor computers that backup to a network drive. Also in the bactch file i run Spybot and an antivirus, AVG, but going to switch to Kaspersky.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai