Sheetmetal crossbreak???

Does anyone know how to model a sheetmetal crossbreak in SW's? Unfortunately I don't have time to go test stuff and see what I can figure out, and my boss is needing to add crossbreaks to several parts he is working on. If anyone can help me out and tell me how to do it correctly, or even BS it, that would be great.

Thanks! Steven

Reply to
cntryfun

You need to make a forming tool, which is just a loft from a rectangle to a point. The SW help is pretty good on how to make the forming tool. Then just use it on the part. With configs you can show a part with or without it.

matt

Reply to
matt

Hi Steven -

Take a look at this forming tool:

You can use this to get a double brake feature. You need to "size" it before you use it.

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

I assume you still want the piece to be recognized as sheetmetal in SW?

Perhaps one could use the flex or deform tool to twist or bend the sheetmetal to represent the crossbreak.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Not being a real sheet metal type of guy, I have to ask, what's a crossbreak?

Jerry Steiger

If you look at the large heating/cooling ducts in a building, you will see that they have two diagonal bends through the middle of the flat sides. The purpose of these is to reduce vibration and flexing. Now, picture how SW does bending - along straight lines. You then realize that you can't do that in SW quite like a regular bend.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks allot SMA, it looks like that will work perfectly. I figured I would need to make a forming tool, but I hadn't done it in so long I wasn't sure how long it'd take and if I had time for it. Really wasn't bad though.

Thanks again guys. Steven

Reply to
cntryfun