SW-v-SE

Page 2 is up.

My apologies if the images don't have captions and look slightly jumbled. It is a work in progress.

Please place any comments or questions on Page 2 in this thread.

Be patient, we'll get to the good stuff presently.

Reply to
P.

P.

I am very interested in what you are doing. If you could, when you make a point about one software can you also reference it on the other? Such as "SolidWorks planes can be hidden and renamed by simple Windows functionality" your SE comparison doesn't completely mention if you can do this or not.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Maren

This has been done before, and it failed miserably because it always comes out biased depending on who controls the information, and this one is off to a good start because you obviously know nothing about Solid Edge. The reason that I know this is because there is a context sensitive shortcut menu that comes up when you right click on the reference plane icons in pathfinder as well as a command to show parents and children of the reference plane. This makes most of the information on page 2 of your web site incorrect. Furthermore, if you need the handicap of having a coordinate system showing when you are editing your sketches, one can be easily added to the template which will show the orientation clearly when in the sketch.

Ken

Reply to
ken

Ken,

When I attempted to RMB on a plane icon I got a circle with a cross in it. So I am not seeing your context sensitive menu. If you want to send me a screen shot of what you are talking about including SE version I will incorporate it with attribution. Just use consult1 as the username for my domain.

I believe the commands for examining the parents and children are in the menus, not in the Pathfinder or EdgeBar. Could it be that some of this came in after SE14?

I appreciate your offer to proof read, but this is a spare time thing and it takes enough time just to do what I am doing now. I will try to put in corrections as they are noted and discussed here. I was hoping for a SE user to chime in so thanks. Unfortunately there is not a comp.cad.solidedge newsgroup where I can cross post. I may miss something in SW as well so that offer goes either way.

ken wrote:

...snip The

Reply to
P.