Unexpected File Format error

Starting with the upgrade to SW 20004 SP1 one of my users has been having a problem where they will finish and save a part, model, or drawing, but come
back to it later and get the error:
"Unexpected file format"
While working on the part, drawing, or model there is no indication that there is a problem nor is there an error when the file is being saved. The file can still be opened with SW Viewer and the Edrawings viewer as well. I assume that these programs can open the file because they are just looking at the last saved view.
All the parts have multiple configurations in them by using design tables if that makes a difference. Strangely, no other users have complained about this issue.
All of the users have the same hardware. Infact, two systems were cloned from the user currently having this problem. The hardware is:
Asus A7V133 Mother board Athlon 1.4 Ghz processor ATI Xpert 2000 video 1 GB of RAM 3Com 3C905TX Etherlink XL 10/100 nic
Since the the hardware is all the same and only one user is having the problem I would say that it is not because I have the wrong components. The user having this problem is not experiencing any other problems or flakyness so it doesn't seem like any of the components are failing either.
I believe there was a problem with SP1 in that it couldn't open files saved in SP2 or something wierd like that.
Anyone else on different Service Packs?
Of course, if the seat isn't registered properly, you will get the same error message.
Mike Wilson
I am positive that everyone is on the same service pack, but I was mistaken when I wrote SP1. It is SP2.1 that everyone is on.
I don't think that it is the registration because this is not a steady problem. Maybe 3 out of every hundred files he has done has had this problem.

We have been seeing something similar here, except the error comes from Conisio, but we don't have the latest service pack installed either. So I was assuming it was an issue there rather than with SolidWorks. However, seeing your difficulty, it makes me wonder if maybe something else is going on.
You might try repairing the SW installation, or uninstalling SW on that machine, including cleaning the registry, and reinstalling. Just a thought.
WT

I've experienced this error message (Unexpected file format) out of context before when approaching memory limits.
Here's what happens: Open a large assy, in lightweight mode. Now, resolve some or all the assemblies, and slowly all the files begin to be loaded, one by one. When the computer begins to run low on memory, the first few files I get "Unexpected file format" errors, and then finally I get the dreaded "unable to obtain required memory" errors. So, as strange as it might sound your user may be receiving this error 'in error'. I've seen SolidWorks do many strange things when it starts tapping out the computer resources.
I have 3GB memory, and I've implemented the 3GB switch for a little extra oomph. At 1GB, your user could easily tap out the memory limits of their computer given a medium to large assy.
Todd
Our assemblies are rather small. We make tiny electric coil motors that are a couple of inches in size and have about 20 or so parts on them so I don't think its could be a memory issue. Plus, this will even happen on simple drawings.

having a

come
The
well. I

looking
tables if

about
cloned
The
flakyness

are
don't
SolidWorks isn't very good about freeing up memory, so opening and closing a lot of small parts, assemblies, or drawings can push your memory usage way up. Check your task manager to see how much memory you are actually using. Does the error tend to show up after you've been working for quite a while?
No,
While working there are no errors at all. You only find out that there is something wrong with the file when you go to open the file up again later.

simple
while?