User management in SW 2008 SP 4.0

Hello to all, my first post here.

I was assigned to administer the new SW2008 SP4.0 server with 10 floating licenses and since I am new to this, I have some questions that I couldn't find answers in the SW help files.

We have 10 floating licenses, but our team consists of 30 people, more or less, and we are, of course, in a Windows domain. I have added users in sldadminoptioneditor, grouped them and deployed the admin image. So when I was given directive that not all of the users should have SW installed I removed some of them from the users.xml file, including myself as an experiment, I was still able to run SW from my (client) computer.

The server computer has license server installed with default settings and PDMWorks Workgroup is not installed (didn't think it was necessary).

So, how to manage users on SW2008 SP4.0 license server? If I remove them from users.xml, why are they still able to run solidworks? Is users.xml actually the correct file to manage users?

And I repeat, I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mirdža

The sldadminoptioneditor is administrating which programs will install when you install the image on a given computer.

If you want to control who can pull which license you need to get your hands on the FlexLM manual.

You have to make a new file same name as your license file but with .opt extension instead, placed in the same directive.

I.e. c:\patch_where_you_placed_the_licence_server\Licenses\ SWlicense.Lic

You make a file called: SWlicense.opt

You then have the option to exclude and/or include people to pull which licenses, the names of the licenses can be found in the license file.

Anyways youer VAR should be able to run you through this, its pretty simple.

Reply to
Ronni

Thank you very much, it's working. :)

Reply to