Video card - GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

Anyone using this card or similar with SW 2007?

Reply to
mtripoli

as a rule gaming cards dont cut it for SW - no realview , lesser performance, no drag through section view, perhaps not as good driver optimisation/certification... look here

ATI X1950xt is better according to this test at least in straight comparison as a game card.. also I tell you quietly that a X1950 can be softmodded to a FireGL...but be sure to research it thoroughly first

Reply to
neilscad

actually I better say that people havent been happy with ATI for SW in the past, and also if you want the least hassle you might be better off buying a low end Quadro instead like a 560 if you are minding your $$ HTH

Reply to
neilscad

I originally thought that after all these years (hardware years) that the Quadro FX 1100 that I had must be getting "old". As it turns out, this is still a good card. So, no gaming cards...

Thanks all...

MT

Reply to
mtripoli

here is another performance comparison but for quadros

" IMHO the top end cards although nice to have are just too expensive to bother with. hopefully the next generation based on 9800 series will include some decent performing low-mid range cards to keep everyone happy and run realview enhancements well.

Reply to
neilscad

Drag through section works just fine with a game card. Real View likely would too if Solidworks allowed it.

Reply to
Scott Ferrin

really? it hasnt worked for me on any of the cards I used as a temporary measure...it will make the section but it wasnt z buffered so is was very jerky/slow..maybe the method was changed after SW05.

well perhaps more correctly if Nvidia allowed it...they want to sell their cards and at a premium. the cards are basically the same just knobbled internally to be more suited to games or CAD. allowing Realview in itself isnt going to help with the cut in performance... still for some folks the performance might be adequate esp in comparison to the $ saved

Reply to
neilscad

Well, I said the hell with it and bought the nVidia Quadro FX4500 on eBay for $700... THe FX110 has been great for years; I expect tot get the same from this..

Reply to
mtripoli

Actually i've just got mys4elf a new system and got an 8800 GTX and the section drag-thru is very slow and dodgey! This is the first game card i've used that its been like this. Even the X800XT in the prevoius system never done this! Wonder what is going on and if its fixable?

Can't remember anything else being drastically wrong/bad other then this.

-DWH

Reply to
Anonymous

I was cleaning up my emails and found this... sorry to be so slow. I installed a GeForce 8600 GT and it is working great with SW2007 SP4. Even the benchmark test isn't too bad.

Reply to
Ed