WAY OT: Salsa recipe

Had a soire for friends moving back to Santa Barbara last night and I actually came through with a pretty good salsa (for chips, and for a change). I figured as long as I had limited success (for the first and only time) I thought I would write it down before I forgot it entirely. And as long as I'm writing it down I might as well share it. And who better to share it with than my favorite group of fellow CAD nerds. Started with a good handful (each) of diced onions and green bell peppers. I put just enough water in the bottom of a saucepan to be able to boil the peppers and onions, and I did so (boiled 'em) until they were not too far beyond raw. I didn't pour the water out as I wanted whatever flavor was there to remain with the brew. You might want to drain it, though, as the result was a bit too runny IMO. The rest of this was NOT cooked, but just mixed in (and eaten) as-was. Added one 1 lb can of diced tomatos (drained) and 1/2 can of tomato sauce and the juice of 5 limes. I like limes, and maybe you can do with four or three instead of five, but fresh lime juice (instead of bottled) makes all the difference. Also added 1/2 can of whole kernel corn (unsweetened), and about an ounce of the vinegar juice from a jar of pickled jalapeno peppers (add diced jalapenos if you like it spicier, but not much more vinegar juice). Seasoned with almost (not quite) a teaspoon of garlic salt and a bit less than that of onion salt. That together with some regular salt made it almost too salty, so I guess I'd recommend either using onion powder and some salt or onion salt and no regular salt. The coup de grace is (of course) the diced cilantro. Lots of it. I diced the leaves from practically a whole grocery store bundle. Can't use too much cilantro, in my book. If I had enough of it I'm sure you'd find me rolling in it like a cat with catnip. Makes about a quart. Tastes better after being thoroughly chilled, naturally. Preferably served with a Margarita.

Bon appetit 'Spork'

Reply to
Sporkman

Oh, yeah, almost forgot I added about two jiggers of tequila. I figured it wouldn't hurt since it goes so well with lime juice (a la Margarita) and it probably did give the mixture a little "oomph" it might not have had otherwise. Maybe it'll keep just a little better too. Anyway, I was right that it didn't hurt any.

Reply to
Sporkman

everything and bob z. means everything could use a little more "oomph". :~)>

Reply to
bob zee

Goes well with beer, too. :)

Reply to
Sporkman

I can't resist.

Up here in Wisconsin we wait 10 months for tomatoes to start getting ripe, so my preference is fresh salsa, and the way I make it is probably somewhere close to pico de gallo.

8 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced 1 small onion, chopped 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 2 or 3 jalepenos, chopped juice of 1 lime 1 T balsamic vinegar 1t salt 1/2 t black pepper

Let sit overnight. Push mixture to one side to accumulate juice...add

1 T tomato paste to thicken, then stir. Add more paste as necessary. Adjust seasonings and or heat. I like to add some habanero paste.

Does go well with Margaritas, but I prefer local beer...Leinenkugel's Original or Honey Weiss.

Reply to
EricSIG

Sounds like the stuff I brew -- Pail Ale

Reply to
Art Woodbury

I left Milwaukee area (Cedarburg) for California 20 years ago. Had my first Leinie's in a long time a couple of weeks ago- flying through Twin Cities. The Honey Weiss was OK, but I would have liked to have had an original. I'm curious as to whether it is as good as before they got bought out???

Also- do they still make the bock in February/March?

Recipe looks good as well.....

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Cliff Huprich

Original is still good. Miller Brewing has mostly left them alone in Chippewa and they have benefited from the better distribution. I think that they have a brew pub in either the Diamondbacks or Rangers stadium, too. They quit the Bock version in the early spring when they added a Dopplebock available year-round. It is called Big Butt...no, not for what it can do to you, but for the 2 Rams butting heads on the label. At least that is what they are claiming.

Reply to
EricSIG