Welding I Beams at the corners

Good Morning All-

I'm designing a Framework for a processing plant. I'm using W12 x 26 section I beams. They form a horizontal square 12' x 12'. I'm looking for data/examples showing the welded corners. For example, butt weld or miter weld?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

My first thought using given criteria for 90% of my companies jobs, would to have the shop cope the edges to fit inside one or the other and weld as required. Why W12 x 26#? What forces will this frame see? The answers to these question will help determine the fit up and the welding process.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Thanks, Keith-

There will be 6 of these horizontal frames, on columns, 20' off the floor with a static load of 2 1/2 tons or so. A structural engineer determined the sizes and materials and called out a welded corner with no corner detail. I know it's his responsibility; I was just looking for examples (pictures and details) of corner treatments for my own benefit.

Thanks again,

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Generally we run one square into the other with one coped to slip the web all the way in to the other web. Trying to miter both beaks is tough and harder to weld on that kind of stuff.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks Wayne, I agree.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Now if you are making a square and coping the ends make 4 identical pieces coped on one end.

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
TOP

You may consider the cost of handling all four beams for coping to be higher than coping half the beams on both ends. You may also get less variance by coping only half the beams, depending on the cutting process.

Material handling typically doesn't add value.

(Now we are off topic)

Diego (swimm> Now if you are making a square and coping the ends make 4 identical

Reply to
Diego