$16 Tyco Cars?

What's up with this?

MacIndoe

Reply to
MacIndoe

One one them even has a sticker showing 2.50 marked down to 1.98!!!!

There's either a bunch of suckers in that bidder list, or it's a Tyco collector feeding frenzy over something rare!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Reply to
G.M.

It's obviously a collector thing - note the reference to the condition of the boxes, and then the contents are mentioned as an afterthought.

As I always say, eBay is where the greedy meet the gullible.

Reply to
mark_newton

P.T.Barnum strikes again!

Those cars are about as rare as teeth in a dogs mouth, and some combination of them was used in almost every Tyco set ever produced. And as Brian noted, one of them even has a sticker showing an original price of $2.50 marked down to $1.98.

Being a Tyco collector myself (it's not that hard to convert them to Kadee trucks & couplers), I'll just say there aren't many Tyco cars out there I'd give more than $3.00 each for. And that's only if I'm in a really good mood.

Len

Reply to
Len

Final bid $131.00 for 8 cars. The going rate around here for these is a buck each. In fairness to the seller, his opening bid was a good price, it's the idiots who drove it up.

Don

Trainman

I think there's more there than you see.

There were four separate bidders who bid $60 or more on this lot. And there are lots of other Tyco red box auctions on ebay -- many with the same four bidders-- which don't come anywhere close to this level. I'm not a Tyco collector myself, but I think a couple of people identified something very collectible in that lot and decided to go after it.

I certainly wouldn't use the price tag on one to be an indication of the entire set.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

some

them

Tyco

only

lot. And there

the same four

not a Tyco

something very

indication of the

Mark,

As I said, I'm a Tyco collector myself and I've got at least one of every car that was listed for this auction. None of them were all that hard to come by, most being acquired at TCA meets. And I didn't pay more than $3.00 for any single car.

Len

Reply to
Len

Hah hah hah -- you should put the eight-pack on eBay, since there were multiple bidders on that set.

Reply to
Mark Mathu