Actual Model Railroading Post!

Got the chance to take a few more updated pics of the loco stable and upload 'em to Flickr. Have a peek if you're in the mood.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Oh yeah: Best way to view these is to click on "slideshow" in the upper right of the home page screen and let Flickr do the work for you.

The pics come up circa 50% larger that way as well.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

I Particularly like the Brill and the Jesus Garcia!

Oh, and the unidentified cutie!! You standin' right there and didn't even get her name? Oh, wait, who's on the other end of your camera?!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Thanks.

The Brill car now features a huge (as in barely fits inside the shell) NWSL can motor/brass flywheel combo that smooths out it's progress considerably -and adds enough weight to allow it to pull circa 3 to 4 freight cars up our 2.5% grades. About the same as the prototype would do, I think.

On the down side it now tops out at only 42 scale MPH, but that's fine with me. I tend to run my trains rather slowly anyhow.

Re Jesus: In case you (collectively) didn't know: Jesus ("Hay-soos") Garcia was "The Hero of Nacozari"; a Mexican railroad engineer who in

1907 dragged a burning train load of dynamite out of Nacozari far enough so that when it finally exploded it only took out a dozen or so souls, Jesus included. The whole town would have been leveled had he abandoned his train and run for it; so I thought it would be a nice gesture to name the Sud Pacifico de Mexico business car after him.

I thought I was being subtle, but the car gets a lot of recognition from spectators down at the Model Railroad Museum layout where I sometimes park it on the spur just over the border in Tijuana.

Um, you can't really tell from the photo, but said cutie was quite well-endowed; and when she backed up to the stage we (the band) could look straight down her costume all the way to Cleveland. -Which probably explains why the fiddler and I are grinning like Cheshire cats.

Got it in one: my wife. Who doesn't mind me looking at pretty girls (bless her), but draws the line at taking names and extra-curricular dating.

Drat.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Nice work. I like your dog.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

On 13/06/2011 4:31 AM, Twibil wrote: [...]

[...]

I think the prototype was usually operated at 30-35mph max, often at a timetabled average speed of around 20-25mph, even though it was capable of more.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Thank you.

Considering your name, I'm not surprised. :)

He's a track rescue up from Mexico, who gives new meaning to the word "exuberant", and who brings much-needed excitement to the otherwise drab, everyday lives of our neighborhood's squirrels and stray cats.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

I've never seen much published about the S.P. doodlebugs (there seem to have been very few of them), but if they were used for branchline duties in the same way that other roads used them then you're probably right.

Secondary "dirt track" roadbeds aren't conducive to high speed rail service.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

We used to have those problems. Then the coyote population increased. Now if only they would acquire a taste for squirrels.

(Yup, we got coyotes in the Philadelphia burbs thanks to the "Up with Wildlife, Down with People" folks. Black bears are another issue beginning to raise its furry head.)

Reply to
None

Coyotes don't climb trees as a general rule.

What you need is an infusion of hawks and/or ferrets.

Sorry to break it to you, but there are no such folks. Coyotes can be a minor neighborhood nuisance, but that's the price we pay for their keeping the smaller varments in check.

So unless you're looking forward to being up to your clavicles in rabbits, gophers, mice, pack rats, and other unattractive and disease- carrying rodents, thank the next coyote you see.

Reply to
Twibil

We have hawks, falcons, and even brown eagles. Never seen them go for a squirrel. When squirrels bite they show no mercy. As to climbing trees, our squirrels also come down out of the trees and dig holes to store food for the winter.

It is a metaphor.

No gophers, pack rats or other disease carrying rodents here. What kind of diseases have you caught?

As to the rabbits and mice, my cats love them. Nothing more fun then having a semi-dead bunny or mouse at the doorstep when you're in your barefeet. Now I can't say that I've seen the coyotes to thank them, but if they would target the damn whistle pigs I might do my level best to see them to say thanks. Now if only my cats would bring down a few of them deer I might consider growing impatiens again.

Reply to
None

No, it was an attempted insult -of the sort usually tried by those who are addicted to Fox News: the implication being that anyone who's in favor of a healthy wildlife population must perforce be anti-people.

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth; and if you're going to insist on bringing politics -and silly politics at that- into a model railroad newsgroup you can expect to be called on it.

Reply to
Twibil

My, my you guys on the Left coast sure are sensitive. Gosh, it's a healthy wildlife population now. A few posts ago it was a disease ridden menace to society.

You're the only one doing the insistence around here. And if you're going to insist that you make the rules here, you can go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
None

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Woman bends over toward me in the grocery store and I can see the checkstand out the bottom of her dress. She stands up, catches me in enflagrante staring mode and asks if I'd like a pitcher. Only if we share it says I! Sometimes fun to do most of the shopping ...

Got it in one: my wife. Who doesn't mind me looking at pretty girls (bless her), but draws the line at taking names and extra-curricular dating.

LOL!!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Shrug.

Stupidity is annoying, but *someone* has to hold down the bottom end of the bell curve.

Might as well be him.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Ah yes, the 1% standard deviation opines.

Reply to
None

Oh yeah: Best way to view these is to click on "slideshow" in the upper right of the home page screen and let Flickr do the work for you.

The pics come up circa 50% larger that way as well.

~Pete

Nice work, Pete.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser