Anyone knows what japanese brand of trains is...

I have a dummy N engine that looks like part of one of those modern, fast trains. On the bottom, what looks loke the brand name, is in
japanese characters inside an oval (maybe this is the logo) then, next to it, it reads "1:160 scale, Made in Japan". Does anyone know what brand could it be? I've never seen one Kato or Tomix, but I suppose that those brands have the name written in our characters but I 'm unsure of this. Thanks!
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:10:30 -0700 (PDT), I said, "Pick a card, any

Can you post a close up of the logo? Might help. -- Ray

Hi, these are the dummy engine and logo:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m273/artmustel/d1.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m273/artmustel/d2.jpg
Thanks!
muselart wrote:

Don't know the brand, but the loco looks a like one of the high speed commuter trains built after the success of the Bullet trains. I'm not up on Japanese class designations, though.
HTH
--
wolf k.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I was recently given the same train. According to a friend knowledgeable of such things, these are die cast models sold in blister packs at train stations and other stores for the kids. They're toys, not model trains. You will note that the trucks do not swivel.
Ken Rice wrote:

I've got one of those - it's a Japanese underground unit! I someday intend to put swivelling bogies and a spud unit under it.
Greg.P.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:47:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call it a "train". As far as I know, they only produce the front/rear car. I wish they made a coach so one could actually put together a "train"...

Yeah, they're sold at JR station kiosks, along with other places. Never seen them in blister packs- just boxes. The same company makes models of other companies' "trains", which are sold at those railway's stations, such as the Hakone Express and Enoden sold at Odakyu stations.
They are toys, yes, but this one in particular is a pretty good replica. Like I said, I wish they produced some coaches as well. They'd make a nice and inexpensive (about 690 yen/car) display :)
Dale
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:10:30 -0700 (PDT), muselart

Company seems to be called "Trane".
Try here: http://www.trane.org
Dale
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:10:30 -0700 (PDT), muselart

BTW, it's a type "0" Shinkansen- the original "bullet train"...
Dale

GREAT HELP!!! THANKS!!!
Dale Carlson wrote:

Interesting. It doesn't have the sleek look I associate with the Bullet train. Was there a styling change for the subsequent types?
--
wolf k.

"Wolf K." wrote:

That looks very much like the original "Bullet Train" except that AFAIK that had the nose as an opaque orange dome which lights up. That might have been a later modification. Japan has lots of different designs of high speed trains, each route seeming to have a different design and different colour scheme. New versions seem also to be to different designs, which seems reasonable as the first Bullet trains have been around for about 35 years. There are even high speed trains for 3'6" gauge lines which are different again.
Greg.P. NZ

Not sure when the Tokyo-Osaka Bullet Train was first established but it was prior to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I rode it many times during my 2 1/2 years (Feb 1965 - Oct 1967) stationed in Japan at Camp Zama about 20 miles outside of Tokyo. Ray Hobin
NMRA Life # 17XX; TCA # HR-78-XXXXX; ARHS # 2XXX Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]
snipped-for-privacy@toast.net wrote:

Hi Ray,
Life goes fast when you're having fun! ;-) So it's over 44 years!!! WOW! I bought an N scale head end car model back in the late 1970s - the real ones looked new to me then. I've often wished I'd bought the complete set.
Greg.P.

Correct.
Yes. Aerodynamics have evolved since then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinkansen
Note the collection of different models in the pics at the bottom of the page.
-Pete
wrote

Wow that Fastech looks incredible.
Greetz Jan

And it makes you wonder if they actually ran it at full speed with that left front truck access panel missing...
Talk about turbulence!
-Pete