Anyone knows what japanese brand of trains is...

I have a dummy N engine that looks like part of one of those modern, fast trains. On the bottom, what looks loke the brand name, is in japanese characters inside an oval (maybe this is the logo) then, next to it, it reads "1:160 scale, Made in Japan". Does anyone know what brand could it be? I've never seen one Kato or Tomix, but I suppose that those brands have the name written in our characters but I 'm unsure of this. Thanks!

Reply to
muselart

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:10:30 -0700 (PDT), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and muselart instead replied:

Can you post a close up of the logo? Might help.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Hi, these are the dummy engine and logo:

Thanks!

Reply to
muselart

Don't know the brand, but the loco looks a like one of the high speed commuter trains built after the success of the Bullet trains. I'm not up on Japanese class designations, though.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

Company seems to be called "Trane".

Try here:

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson

BTW, it's a type "0" Shinkansen- the original "bullet train"...

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson

GREAT HELP!!! THANKS!!!

Reply to
muselart

Interesting. It doesn't have the sleek look I associate with the Bullet train. Was there a styling change for the subsequent types?

Reply to
Wolf K.

That looks very much like the original "Bullet Train" except that AFAIK that had the nose as an opaque orange dome which lights up. That might have been a later modification. Japan has lots of different designs of high speed trains, each route seeming to have a different design and different colour scheme. New versions seem also to be to different designs, which seems reasonable as the first Bullet trains have been around for about 35 years. There are even high speed trains for 3'6" gauge lines which are different again.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Wolf K." wrote

Correct.

Yes. Aerodynamics have evolved since then.

Note the collection of different models in the pics at the bottom of the page.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Not sure when the Tokyo-Osaka Bullet Train was first established but it was prior to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I rode it many times during my 2 1/2 years (Feb 1965 - Oct 1967) stationed in Japan at Camp Zama about 20 miles outside of Tokyo. Ray Hobin

NMRA Life # 17XX; TCA # HR-78-XXXXX; ARHS # 2XXX Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]

Reply to
tcol

"P. Roehling" schreef in bericht news:47e975d2$0$6139$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Wow that Fastech looks incredible.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

Hi Ray,

Life goes fast when you're having fun! ;-) So it's over 44 years!!! WOW! I bought an N scale head end car model back in the late 1970s - the real ones looked new to me then. I've often wished I'd bought the complete set.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen" wrote

And it makes you wonder if they actually ran it at full speed with that left front truck access panel missing...

Talk about turbulence!

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

I was recently given the same train. According to a friend knowledgeable of such things, these are die cast models sold in blister packs at train stations and other stores for the kids. They're toys, not model trains. You will note that the trucks do not swivel.

Reply to
Ken Rice

I've got one of those - it's a Japanese underground unit! I someday intend to put swivelling bogies and a spud unit under it.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm not sure I'd call it a "train". As far as I know, they only produce the front/rear car. I wish they made a coach so one could actually put together a "train"...

Yeah, they're sold at JR station kiosks, along with other places. Never seen them in blister packs- just boxes. The same company makes models of other companies' "trains", which are sold at those railway's stations, such as the Hakone Express and Enoden sold at Odakyu stations.

They are toys, yes, but this one in particular is a pretty good replica. Like I said, I wish they produced some coaches as well. They'd make a nice and inexpensive (about 690 yen/car) display :)

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson