Best price for Bachmann HO Climax?

Who is offering the best price for the new Bachmann HO scale Climax? I just checked Caboose Hobbies, and their price of $198.98 seems a bit
steep to me. Trainworld lists them at $159.95, but their delivery date is "TBA".
Wholesale Trains in NY State lists some they do have in stock at $139.99 - but there's a catch for me in Canada. Last month I ordered one of the On30 Climaxes from them ($148.98) and got it allright, but they shipped it by FedEx Ground. Got an invoice from FedEx last week for the 15% tax we have to pay, along with a $35.00 processing fee. Our post office only charges $5.00 to collect the tax, so my "deal" cost me $30.00 extra.
So who else has decent pricing, and who will send items by US mail? Thanks!
Bob Boudreau Canada
Railfan wrote:

Well, you've been bit by the net price sacm -- you know, the one that doesn't tell you what else you'll hjave to pay to get the item. Sigh.
Most of these wholesale houses disguising themselves as retail shops ship by courier because they get a wholesale rate from FedEx etc, and FedEx picks up at their location. All they have to do is pack up a box and stick on a label. Shipping by mail requires that someone actually travel to the post office, fill out a customs declaration, etc, which costs a whole lot more. By shipping FedEx, _you_ get to pay for filling out the paperwork, done on your behalf by FedEx, of course.
I'll find out what price I can offer - and I ship by CanPost, insured parcel.
Caio

Actually the PO will pickup at site but it probably costs more and I'm not sure of the rules.

paid for< This is the real reason the PO is not used, takes forever to get your money back from lost mail.
Railfan wrote:

Looks like Wholesale Trains in NY State is the low-price leader - :
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q chmann+ho+Climax&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p
See if you can ring 'em up and offer to pay a little premium for USPS ground(actually, air post is 4-6 weeks faster - unless you're in Ontario or so) service - they are already $30.00 USD cheaper than all the others.
Rob
Rob

Ontario
others.
I called them and they said they do not do mail shipments - lost parcels take six months or more to get paid for. I'll probably wait until Trainworld has them in stock. They aren't a good place to order from Canada either, as their minimum mailing cost is US$25.00. But I have a model railroad friend who has a P.O. Box in nearby Maine, and he/we order stuff sent there once in a while. We pay the tax when crossing the border, but their prices are so great!
Bob Boudreau

I thought toy train stuff was exempt?
Cheery Littlebottom wrote:

From duty, but not from tax. If you import any goods worth more than the allowable limit, you have to pay tax.
We sell the Bachmann Climaxes for $159.95 + $8.00 S&H (US).
peachcreekshops.com
PEACHCREEK wrote:

That's about $210Can before taxes and "collection fee."
H'm.
"Railfan" asked:

****snip*******
Hello Bob.
Try to take a look at www.tomstrains.com and ask Tom by email for a quote and shipping methods/costs. I have the items I buy from him shipped to Denmark using USPS airmail. He only charges actual shipping cost and never charges before he ships.
Kind regards Tom Larsen Holte, Denmark www.goldenspike.dk
Railfan wrote: [...]>

[...]
OK $139.99US --> $171 Can (at 82 cents US for $1 Can), plus 15% --> $196 plus $5 --> $201, more or less. What's the shipping and handling?
H'm.
I can supply HO Climaxes at $215 plus actual postage, no taxes, on a _firm_ order. If interested, let me know by e-mail (drop one w from the reply to). Send me your postal code, and I can quote actual postage. I can get it from the distributor and ship to you next week. Numbers available: 82801, 82804.
BTW, Bachmann stuff is imported directly into Canada, so buying from the States often means higher prices.

the
the
Wolf:
Thanks for the reply and offer! I read newsgroups through Google, and it appears they do not show entire e-mail addresses, so I am replying this way. I definitely am interested in #82804. Please drop me a message at arailfan (at) post.com and we can discuss business. Do you take credit cards?
Thanks!
Bob Boudreau E2M 4L1