Buyer Beware! Able Hobby

OR when they came together before crossing the border. I have been using Canada Post for business correspondence for just over 30 years now and can remember only one instance of a lost letter and 3 of letters delayed over the expected delivery time (each was less than a week late).

However, I have business friends in the USA that cannot say the same. My friend in Cincinatti now does not use USPS at all, he uses a local courier, or FedEx for ALL his business deliveries, his quote was, "I can't take a chance on the USPS."

Reply to
wannand

I'm not aware of any "free delivery confirmation" offered by the USPS. Its fee is included in the postage value I quote in the auction, adding no more than fifty-five cents to the postage amount.

However, the two-part Delivery Confirmation form includes a part that is affixed to the package. This has a barcode with the twenty-digit number, and the same number is printed on the receipt retained by the sender.

When scanned at the post office, the package can be followed in the system by its number when you log onto the USPS website at

(or ".com"; either gets you there).

Dieter Zakas Barcode, NJ

Reply to
Hzakas

Electronic Delivery Confirmation is available from the USPS. You generate your own barcode, and transmit the data to USPS electronically. eDC is free on Priority, 13 cents on other classes. The package is not scanned at acceptance, as the data is already in the system at that point. It is scanned at delivery.

I use a commercial program called Endicia to do this, and to print postage as well. USPS has Click and Ship, which prints postage and eDC bar codes. (For Priority and Express only.) It also has a program called Shipping Assistant which prints labels with eDC barcodes, but no postage. Can be used on any class of mail.

Or, you can get the specs from USPS, and write your own.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Can opinions really be "wrong"?

I understand principle. Maybe it is just difficult for me to believe they are that unresponsive to customers. 6 negatives out of 426 postives is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. I have over 800 positives and no negatives. I guess I can't say too much about posting what you did here. If they are unresponsive and indifferent then they put that on themselves.

I know, someone else suggested a lawsuit.

Reply to
Jim Stanton

No, just my poor choice of wording.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Do pardon me, I have been following the convultions of this thread for the last week. Kinda lost track so I went back to the origins. Let me make some observations and share some thoughts. First, on shipping... For myself, and your mileage and experinece may vary. I prefer USPS. If I am not home, I get a delivery notice in my mailbox. With UPS I am more likely to find a package(well, maybe find)left on my doorstep. Not a good situation, either for me, or the shipper sending the product to me. Phantom fingers may well caress the package, summoning it to the twilight zone of lost socks, leading to much anger and angst while the sock monster gets to play with my train. As for product not being delivered on time. Well, let me refer you to

sets forth the standards and requirements for businesses based in the US in regards to shipment of product, or non, and how they must, under law, deal with it. It also outlines what an individual, as the customer, must comply with. And please do note, in regards to their FAQ, it has been subsequiently modified legally to deal with the subject of internet purchases and auctions. Agan, this applies to the U.S. and it also provides folks with an option to file complaints against dealers who are, shall we say, less then punctual or professional in dealing with their customers. As customers, yes, we have rights, we also have responsiblities. Paul

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett

"Art Marsh" wrote

-----------------

OK, I'm back in the loop. I apologize for unjustly accusing you of hijacking the thread. Although it was redirected by a combination of posts by Rathburne, you (Art Marsh), Will (the mental defective canadian) and "Jeff Williams" (super defender of Hobby Circle)

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

"'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" wrote

Your original post says you used PayPal to pay for the auction, the same night you won it (Dec 21st). Why haven't you notified PayPal of non-delivery? Seller has to provide PayPal with proof of mailing/delivery or PayPal will reimburse you, *and* charge Able Hobby a $10 investigation fee.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

"Hzakas" wrote

Free Delivery Confirmation on Priority Mail packages has been available since February 2002. Don't expect your USPS retail clerk to volunteer that information to someone willing to pay extra for it. How have you been charging for DC for 2 years w/o a single customer complaining?!

Not being a big fan of wasting my time w/DC, I didn't know mid-route tracking was reported on the USPS website. I think I've put DC on outgoing packages maybe three times in 5 years (winning bidders who seemed a little hinky). Can you provide a screen shot of the USPS website where it's displaying tracking info for a package with Delivery Confirmation?

I've never had a buyer claim non-delivery and never had an item (I packaged) suffer damage.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

that should have read "in _no_ particular order". It was the aftermath of 3 hours of hardware problems...

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

If you can't defend your opinion logically. That's called prejudice in some instances.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

I say so in the shipping info in the auction listing: my standard method is to use either Priority Mail or "package services," and that (I'm making) Delivery Confirmation part of the terms. It gives me peace of mind.

A clarification: I actually sold stuff on eBay for only a few months between

2002 and 2003.

As far as the "free" DC, I have older computer gear that wouldn't support said abilities, anyway.

There's a page on the USPS website that says "tracking" (my memory's a shade fuzzy because I haven't needed to ship eBay-sale packages via USPS), where you can enter the number and see the major points where it was recorded in handling.

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Hzakas

All I can do is chuckle at you right now, and also hope that your identity crisis will come to an end soon.

Reply to
wannand

" snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway" wrote

Don't make me chuckle!

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

I did not know this and will contact them immediately! Thanks. I should have investigated further.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

I snoozed and am too late. :-(

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

- an online application to print Priority labels with free DC.

- a program download that lets you print labels for free DC on Priority, 13 cents on other classes.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

True tracking is available only on Express Mail.

Retail DC is scanned at acceptance and delivery. USPS is installing intermediate scanners at SOME locations, so sometimes you MIGHT see an intermediate scan, but it's not likely. Oddly enough, you're more likely to see it on lackage services than Priority.

Electronic DC is supposed to be scanned at delivery only. Usually, if it's scanned at acceptance, the system doesn't record it.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King