Circuitron totoise switch machine.

Hi there, can anyone tell me how much clearance a tortoise switch machine needs? With other words, from the plywood through the foam to the track on my layout spans about 2 to 2 1/4" . Can the tortoise reach that far when mounting under the table? As you can see I have never used them and don't want to purchase if they wouldn't work. Thanks for your input.

Werner

Reply to
Werner Anschutz

Yes, Werner, you can do that. All you need to do is buy another piece of Music/piano wire of a slightly thicker diameter. I believe that .42 or thereabouts is right. If you are using Shinoharah switches, you will need to drill out the rivet on the throwbar and remove the plastic bar and the copper tab underneath to allow for the thicker diameter wire.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

And if the under layout position is cramped you can use linkage like RC airplane control cables (plastic rod in plastic tube) as a member of my club demonstrated for us. It's flexible and you can run it to a convenient spot for the Tortise. Don't kink it and anchor it with cable staples or ... whatever (don't pinch or penetrate it *8-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Wernmer -

Also consider Switchmaster, Scale Shops or Roto-Motor - some smaller in size and less expensive ($6.65).

Reply to
Bruce Stull