Covered Hoppers - Question

My brothers and I used to hike west and North on the Frisco to 29th. Along the way We'd stop at the MoPac and Rock Island yards. After looking at the South end of the Frisco yard we'd go over to Broadway and down to a diner at about 33rd or 35th and watch the inbound and outbound traffic out of the Santa Fe North yard, And yes I did get some pics of some of the F's and GP9s. I even caught a Yellow War bonnet once. We'd then go back south to North Junction. Finally back east to home. That sure was a different era then.

That was the Burton Sub. I lived on the Wichita Sub. We had a twice daily except Sundays. Every once in a while we'd get 3-4 movents in a day.

I went to East my first year then West for the last two. I liked West High. It was right at the diamond for the ATSF lead to the Orient yards and the old Midland Valley. That was another line we hiked. When we got our motorcycles we trail rode it South a ways. Teah, really liked West.

Take care,

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

"SleuthRaptorman" wrote

Any chance that poster didn't know an air hose when he saw one?

That sounds so ridiculously implausible that it may be true. I recall years ago seeing a picture of a firetruck with a can of gasoline strapped to it's running board.

Still .... I drove through Missouri once, you'd have to show me a picture of a unit grain train with tubes between the cars before I'd believe it.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

The only cars I can think of like this are the GATX tank train.

Reply to
me

The GATX oilcans that are a regular fixture on the Espee here in SoCal aren't, AFAICT, permanently coupled together. There have been break-in-twos in the past, but because of valves between the car connections, there isn't too much chance of a huge oil spill if cars in a "set" should accidentally uncouple.

Paul

Enjoying Rancid's "Indestructible"

Reply to
Paul