Do photo backdrops make the camera lie?

I took some photos at Bognor Regis model railway club recently. Although I was there primarily to look at their in progress American layout, there were also working on their 'children's' layout. One of their members had bought a set of photo backdrops which had been taken in the Sussex area.

I'd taken some of my old British outline models. We put everything together, then took some photos. The results can be seen starting at

For those interested in American railroading scroll backwards from the above link to see the results of their progress to date.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Wow!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

Reply to
Bill

Thanks Mark,this was a timely post for me. If I can manage it, I plan to spend a day in the Columbia Gorge taking photos for possible backdrop use and for scenery use. The Bognor Regis backdrop is very good and it took me a while to determine the edge between the photo and the world. Thanks again for sharing.

Didn't there used to be a lot of jokes about Bognor Regis, or am I confusing it with some other Bog?

Reply to
LDosser

Darn nice effect! How large were the prints and how did you print them?

Reply to
Special Agent Melvin Purvis

Darn nice effect! How large were the prints and how did you print them?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Was not me.

Reply to
LDosser

In message , LDosser writes

Any chance of sharing some of these? I don't know the exact program, but there is one which will take several photos and then put them together to make a panoramic view. Worth bearing this in mind when you take your pics.

I'm sure there are but none come readily to mind :-)

Reply to
Mike Hughes

In message , Special Agent Melvin Purvis writes

They were about 12 inches high (I took the pics so that I just got the tops of them in. They are a commercial product from Gaugemaster in Ford, near Arundel in West Sussex, England.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

You could probably find it, or, more likely, "them" by asking on rec.photo.digital.

In between the typical "How could you have been stupid enough to have asked this question?" responses you will most likely get some good advise.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

I'll share what I can get. We're down to short days already. Stitching software is what does the panorama pics. IIRC Canon supplies a version with their camera software. I'm also going to try some HDR (high dynamic range).

What I Really want is boat at my beck and call, as the shots I want would be best taken from about mid river. The area that interests me most is from Lyle to Wishram on the Washington side. If you have Google Earth (free), it's worth a look.

Butlins came to mind later ...

Reply to
LDosser

You could probably find it, or, more likely, "them" by asking on rec.photo.digital.

Oh wow! rec.photo.digital.hell

In between the typical "How could you have been stupid enough to have asked this question?" responses you will most likely get some good advise.

If he's really lucky and has a tail wind ...

~Pete

Reply to
LDosser

There are lots of these programs around, for example "PhotoStitch" which comes with every Canon DSLR. You might even be able to obtain it without the camera from their website. But please don't beat me wen you find it rather ugly to use - I wasn't able to create a panorama with it, mainly because it doesn't take Canon's own raw files as input, but only Jpeg... The user-interface does leave a distinct toy-like taste behind...

But if you google for it, you might find more programs like that (probably some that are less toy-like) and I'm sure there's a plugin for Photochop (which should work in GIMP :-)

Have fun!

Reply to
Bernhard Agthe

Heh. But as with almost any Newgroup there are several knowlegable and helpful inhabitants at RPD along with the usual trolls and crazies.

Here, for instance....

Reply to
Twibil

The program I use for serious panorama work is "Panorama Factory" It does all from automatic to place every point.

Jack

Reply to
Jack