Enough

I fancy myself as a regular guy, but this board has gone over the edge with recent posts. I and my Great Scale Model Train Show posts are signing off for good. This was once a decent chat room. I miss that. HZ

Reply to
Howard Zane

trainspeeddemon

I just might be joining yuou after hanging out here over 12 years. Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Howard R Garner spake thus:

I see. Now we're hearing from the Chicken Little Chorus. Believe us, we've heard it before. The sky hasn't fallen--yet.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Kill files are your friend.

There is still a lot of good info here dispite Curt/Steve@hotmail Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Howard Zane skriver:

My recommandation is to ignore Curt and all his fake nicks. Put them into your killefile.

And then, when you get tired of seeing all the jerky answers from certain people to Curt, put them in your killfile too. Then the group is just like before.....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Non-conventional means may be called for in this case. My client, however, does not easily allow for the art of quiet outside cancel. I would think the problem would go away much faster if such means were instituted, however against Big 8 policies that may be. There is only so much conventional method that can be applied with a client that is coming from a host with a non-responsive abuse e-mail address.

Reply to
gl4316

Your news client doesn't allow you to auto-filter and "mark as read"? WOW! You really need to upgrade to some post 1990 reader.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Reply to
curtmchere

"Howard Zane" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Howard, The main problem here is not Troll-boy, but all the others that can't resist playing with him. This tolerance for bad behavior is what's killing this group. Nobody should even be reading Troll-boy's posts, let alone respond to them. But some people here are just self destructive. They ignore the future fallout from their equally bad behavior and want the "fun" of playing Troll games NOW and damn the consequences. Shame on them. Just remember, however, that when these losers force you to leave, they win. I refuse to give them that satisfaction. rec.models.railroad is the last bastion of as-close-to free speech as can be found on the internet. There's no moderators to please, no corporate suits that can shut it down because we don't toe the company line, no advertizers can bring pressure to get a thread deleted. Remember when MR got rid of the free show schedule listings? I posted on the MR Forum a while back saying, "Thanks for nothing, Kalmbach!" and my post and the entire thread was deleted...not locked, deleted. Is this what we want the future of free speech on the internet to be? So I'll put up with the BS for r.m.r's freedom. It's a small price to pay for me. The only way to stop someone is to get one's ISP involved. For example, e-mail the abusive postings from Troll-boy with full headers to his ISP's abuse dept., complete with copies of his TOS/AUS agreement and ask that they cancel his account. They may, they may not. But it beats the "I'm taking my toys and going home" version. Or at the very least, ask yourself this: "When was the last time I started a good model railroading thread on r.m.r?" The group is only as good as what's posted. You want more MR content? Post some. And ignore the Trolls.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Pac Man skriver:

I couldn't agree more.....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Paul Newhouse spake thus:

You may have missed what he was getting at (or maybe not): he's talking about *canceling* someone else's posts, which is an offensive, not defensive, maneuver.

I'm skeptical this would even work; it's something along the lines of what that blowhard Ray Haddad was boasting he could do to another user. And even if it did, it's an ethically problematic move.

I think folks are just going to have to learn to live with this troll, until he gets tired of playing with his sockpuppets and moves on to torturing small animals or something.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

One must endure some "slings and arrows" from time to time.

How can THEY force YOU or anyone. Why would you hand over the reins of your control?

An occasional sling and/or arrow seems a small price to pay ... no?

So much for free speech!

Kill files are your friend; kill a poster, kill a thread (and if your news reader can't do that ... upgrade!! :).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Are you the fat guy hawking books in front of the show? You need to dress better and get a shower if you are.

Reply to
prioritycharge

I agree. Most of the folks here (and the post archives) are a great source of info.

I use google groups rather than a stand alone client, so there's no kill-files, but I've taken the drastic step of /not/ reading or replying to the spam/troll posts. Another Usenet group I used to frequent had some problems with a dishonest/spamming troll, and we voted to impose what we called the "Final Solution". Knowing that trolls thrive on the sound and fury and chaos that they create, we starved them out by ignoring them completely, a sort of social killfile, if you will. It worked wonders. Besides, why let the trolls win?

Howard, if you would like, you can email me info about your GSMTS and I will repost it here. Good luck.

-- Drew

Reply to
Drew

Just curious... what newsreader do you guys use? Up until recently, I've never really felt the need to use anything other than the Netscape, then more recently, the reader in Outlook Express. But then again, I never really felt the need to filter the group's content. That is changing...

I did try Forte's Agent for their free trial period, but felt that was pretty cumbersome to use... or else I wasn't doing something correctly.

Suggestions?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:41:11 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Dan Merkel" instead replied:

I like Forte Agent for the ease of use and for the ability to use the text rich features of Usenet rather than forcing everything into a format compatible with a database.

To add a kill filter in Agent, for example, all you do is right click on the message body you don't like, select the Add Filter menu item and then select how you want to see this message dealt with in the future.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"Dan Merkel" wrote in news:Xz1Fh.24$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

I've got Xnews, and am quite happy with it. It does kill files and filtering based upon subject lines, so topics such as the "Merry Christmas" thread will remain hidden as they twist and wind.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

[doesn't matter ... because they're a sockpuppet]

Peek-a-boo, "Curt", we see you.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Thunderbird. Free. Killfiles created with one mouse click on the offending post or poster. Robust, never crashes. Threads. Sorts. Virus proof.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr