For Better Or For Worse

For the simple fact that we aren't Americans.
Do Australians like to be called English?
Brian

Australia is not part of the island that comprises England and Scotland. Australia isn't even anywhere close to England at all. But you already knew that.
Canada most certainly IS on the northern end of the continent called "America", or more specifically, North America, So then, by definition that makes Canadians Americans. This does not mean that you are not also Canadians, but you certainly are Americans, whether you like it or not. I happen to reside in the southern United States, and I deeply resent being refered to as a Yankee, or Yank. Never the less, that's the way it is. I'm a Yank, and you're an American. Froggy,
<Froggy

No we are NOT. We live in NORTH America, therefore, we are NORTH Americans. Please do not have the temerity to tell us what to call ourselves. With all due respect, that is the height of arrogance.
-- Cheers Roger T.
"Roger T." wrote:

You do have a name for your country and yourselves, unlike the people of the USa who only have a description.
Regards, Greg.P.

Their country decided what they were going to call their citizens, from what I remember hearing in school.
Brian Smith wrote:

Countries rarely decide anything, it's governments and (groups of) citizens normally.

Countries are made up of the citizens and the idiots and fools they hire into positions of power (government). So the countries do make decisions in a manner of speaking <g>.
Brian Smith wrote:

Try telling a few yanks that _their country_ decided to invade and occupy Iraq!
Greg Procter wrote:

Don't look at me. I didn't decide anything. I always said it was a bad idea, but I wouldn't shed any tears for Saddam. I think my exact words were, "I don't see anything good coming of it." Going on memory. I hate to google myself.
Jay Cunnington wrote:

That's my point - a few people decide and drag the country along - good or bad.

On 9/26/05 1:40 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz, "Greg Procter"

Speaking of partly mistaken!
Same is true here. Libertarians and others have won plenty of state, local, and federal level seats.
The former Governor of Minnesota, Jesse Ventura, was neither Republican nor Democrat, but a member of the Reform Party. As of 2003, 600 Libertarians were holding elected positions nationwide (albeit mostly at city level).
--
Brian Ehni

I have heard it called the war of the northern aggresssion. Roger Aultman
DaveW wrote:

And indeed, it is called all of those names. But "War of the Rebellion" is what the United States Government calls (called) it.
Since the winners get to write the history, I'll go with that, even if I don't find anything in the Constitution that prohibits secession. (Note that slavery was unfortunately allowed, at least until 1863.)
If I'd had my way, the North would have left the union, to seperate themselves from slaveholders.
Regards,
DAve
Roger Aultman wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:48:09 GMT, DaveW wrote:

And the winners write history. The losers get the bass boats.
--
Steve

says...

Reminds me of a bit of doggerel that made the rounds after the War Between the States:
"I'm an old rebel, that's just what I am, And for this Yankee nation, I don't give a damn. I'm not sorry we fought them, I just wish we'd won, And I don't WANT no pardon for anything I done."
Not sure if that last line was "want" or "need" - it's been a while since I've seen it.
My memory seems to retain bits of poetry and useless facts better than useful things. A lot of Kipling and Ogden Nash.
"Praises to Uncle Uglug ..."
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

| Reminds me of a bit of doggerel that made the rounds after the War | Between the States: | | "I'm an old rebel, that's just what I am, | And for this Yankee nation, I don't give a damn. | I'm not sorry we fought them, I just wish we'd won, | And I don't WANT no pardon for anything I done." | | Not sure if that last line was "want" or "need" - it's been a while | since I've seen it. | | My memory seems to retain bits of poetry and useless facts better than | useful things. A lot of Kipling and Ogden Nash. |
I've got an mp3 version sung by Johnny Horton and it goes "I aint asked any pardon for anything I done" - good stuff.
Ivor
<Froggy

No we are NOT. We live in NORTH America, therefore, we are NORTH Americans. Please do not have the temerity to tell us what to call ourselves. With all due respect, that is the height of arrogance.
-- Cheers Roger T.

I'm sorry you find it upsetting Roger, but it is a very long way from the height of arrogance. I don't believe I said anything about what you should call yourselves. If you want to insert the NORTH in there, that's fine. I don't care. I am indifferent with regard to whether I specify North or not. No one cares anyway. But I am a NORTH American same as you, so what's the beef? Not only is Canada in North America, it is the biggest chunk of North America. You are always so touchy about this subject. Why is that? Froggy,
<Froggy

And the best part, see : -
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72891/CanadianClub/CCsales/ad.html

Simple. We don't like being called "Americans".
-- Cheers Roger T.

And so here we have come full circle around this circular discussion.
Froggy,