For Better Or For Worse

lgb wrote:

High five to all the above. I remember 15. My dad was so stupid then. He was a lot smarter when I was 24.
Mark, About the only comic relief we have these days is Fox News. Its even more funny because those morons are serious. I haven't seen any funny comic strips since The Far Side. Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Non Sequitor?
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

...that's even worse than Zits!
a moment of silence now...
Bruce Favinger wrote: I haven't seen any funny comic

Pete in Calgary wrote:

The LA Times has dropped the very boring and outdated Mama, and is rerunning Calvin and Hobbs.
Hurray!
DAve

By definition "comic strips" do not have to be funny, they can also be serious.
The term "comic strips" is really a misnomer.
-- Cheers Roger T.

Comic strips should be humorous, not serious. Serious is all around. There is no shortage whatever of serious, or depressing, or woeful or any of a hundred other baleful states of being. What there IS, is a serious shortage of humor. I have the entire newspaper to remind and inform me of the execrable state of the world's affairs. I don't need some semi-skilled amateur doing it all over again in the comic strips. Froggy,

There is no

other
I have the

world's
the comic

Sorry, Froggy, but the "comics" have had serious content for decades. "Terry and the Pirates", "Apartment 3G", "Brenda Starr", "The Phantom", "Dr. Kildare", etc., etc., etc. I think it's one of those problems brought on by Disney that have most people think that all cartoons, animated or still, ought to be funny. And then you look at what the Japanese do for their art...

Of that group, "The Phantom" was the only one I cared to read. "Gasoline Alley", was another that was semi-serious that I read with regularity. I don't know how you would classify "Alley Oop". People riding around on dinosaurs is hardly a serious concept, but the material was not slapstick-funny in the same manner as "Smokey Stover", "Blondie", "Out Our Way", or the "Katzenjammer Kids". Never the less, it WAS entertaining. I always thought "Brenda Starr" and "Mary Worth" were pretty boring. "Dondi", on the other hand- along with "Little Orphan Annie"- did keep my interest. .....Arf.
Except for Walt Kelly's "Pogo", the strips were not the wasteland of half-witted, ill-informed, self-serving political commentary that they have become today. We have enough half-witted, ill-informed, self-serving political commentary right here on this board to satisfy that appetite.
IMO. The venerated Charles Schulz, with his Peanuts strip, was the progenitor of today's boring comic strip. He gets a lot of praise, but I subscribe to the idea that his influence altered the comic strips for the worse.
With regard to "...what the Japanese do for their art", we are not talking about art here. We are talking about content. Great artwork is not an indicator of great content. The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Sure, the anime and manga is pretty good-looking stuff, but it is just so much wasted effort if the content is rubbish. On the other hand, such is the nature of the comic strip, that marginal artwork is totally overshadowed by superb content. Of course, it is great if they can work together, but in the end, content is the thing.
+++++++++++++++++ Hunter Green Forever +++++++++++++++++
Froggy,
Froggy wrote:
>> Sorry, Froggy, but the "comics" have had serious content for >> decades. "Terry and the Pirates", "Apartment 3G", "Brenda Starr", >> "The Phantom", "Dr. Kildare", etc., etc., etc. I think it's one of >> those problems brought on by Disney that have most people think >> that all cartoons, animated or still, ought to be funny. And then >> you look at what the Japanese do for their art...
> With regard to "...what the Japanese do for their art", we are not > talking about art here. We are talking about content. Great artwork > is not an indicator of great content. The one has absolutely nothing > to do with the other. Sure, the anime and manga is pretty > good-looking stuff, but it is just so much wasted effort if the > content is rubbish. On the other hand, such is the nature of the > comic strip, that marginal artwork is totally overshadowed by superb > content. Of course, it is great if they can work together, but in the > end, content is the thing.
Couldn't have said it better. As far as I can see, "For Better Or For Worse" has no content worth speaking of - and the artwork is nothing special, so what's the point?
mark_newton wrote:

[...] As far as I can see, "For Better Or For

So you don't get it. So what? I don't get the appeal of Beetle Bailey - a moronic strip if there ever was one. But there must be an audience for it, else why do so many papers carry it?
One man's humour is another man's "huh?"
About 30 years ago IIRC Psychology Today (or maybe it was Esquire) ran a humour survey, using what the experts told them were examples of the 5 types of joke. They asked readers to rate the jokes on a scale of 1 (dull) to 5 (extreemely funny).
The results, after tabulating several thousand responses:
a) all 5 jokes got the same average score. IOW, all types of jokes were funny to some people and unfunny to others.
b) no reader rated all 5 jokes at the same level of funniness.
c) on average, men scored jokes around 3, and women around 2.5. That's statistically significant, as they say -- it explains why so many men think their womenfold have no sense of humour, and so why many women think their menfolk have a sophomoric sense of humour (at best.)
And _I_ think all this argy-bargy about whether the comics should be/are funny or not is one of the funniest threads to appear on this venerable forum in ages. It's so delightfully _solemn_. Thanks for the entertainment, guys!

Well, you know what they say, One man's entertainment is another man's ennui. Froggy,
says...

My "huh" is for "Get Fuzzy" and "Mutts" - a waste of space if there ever was one.
And political satire well done is vastly preferable to the preaching in "BC".
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Pac Man wrote:
> Sorry, Froggy, but the "comics" have had serious content for decades. > "Terry and the Pirates", "Apartment 3G", "Brenda Starr", "The > Phantom", "Dr. Kildare", etc., etc., etc. I think it's one of those > problems brought on by Disney that have most people think that all > cartoons, animated or still, ought to be funny.
I'm with Froggy on this one. If they're being presented as comics, they should be funny. Otherwise, call them what they really are - illustrated stories.
I hardly think that Disney can be held responsible for the idea that cartoons ought to be funny. I've never found their stuff to be particularly amusing. OTOH, Warner Brothers cartoons, even those I've seen a thousand times, still have me in stitches. IMO, Chuck Jones and company set a standard for humour that has seldom been surpassed.
Looking back to earlier cartoons, artists like Winsor McCay combined humour and outstanding artwork. Perhaps that's the origin of the idea?
> And then you look at what the Japanese do for their art...
Interesting point. I've just seen "Howl's Moving Castle" with my nephew, aged seven. Ostensibly a children's movie, it is visually stunning, very funny, but also very intelligently written. It's themes and ideas had just as much appeal for me as my nephew. And we both laughed out loud! The contrast between this movie and some of the recent animated offerings from Hollywood could not be greater...
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:30:05 -0700, "Roger T."

Or reflect reality, I think Scott Adams (Dilbert) lives under a credenza in our building.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:05:59 GMT, Mountain Goat wrote:

No, silly, that's an arpeggio.
Or did I mean archipelago? Pellagra?
--
Steve

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:59:42 -0700, Steve Caple

Or none of the above, see #2 below
http://www.m-w.com/ (Nerriam-Webster dictionary on line)
Main Entry: credenza Pronunciation: kri-'den-z& Function: noun Etymology: Italian, literally, belief, confidence, from Medieval Latin credentia 1 : CREDENCE 2 : a sideboard, buffet, or bookcase patterned after a Renaissance credence; especially : one without legs
--

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement
of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent

Only to someone who has never lived in a family.
Mountain Goat wrote:
> [...]
Or someone whose sense of humour differs from yours. :-)