For Better Or For Worse

Hmmmmm.... now there I agree with you - fresh Trout with a sprinkle of herbs, and butter, with a squeeze of lemon.

Now I'm hungry again!!

David.

Reply to
David French

I am an outstandingly good trout fisherman. I can catch fish where others will swear that no fish exist. I catch and release instead of killing and eating them, because I can't stand the taste. I will cook them for others when we go in a group on a weekend fishing/camping trip, and have been complimented greatly on my culinary skill with fish preparation. People who like fish like my trout grilled over an open fire the way I cook them. I don't. I would rather eat a frankfurter or a can of Vienna Sausage. For that matter, a tin of sardines. Those I like. OK?

I have never been fishing for Arctic Grayling. That is something I hope I can do before my time runs out. The clock is ticking. Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I've been know to take some slivered toasted almonds backpacking - trout almondine!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Sure, whatever floats your boat. Sounds like a couple slugs of Richards Wild Irish Rose, of some MD 20/20, or maybe just White Port would go with.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Man, I knew those Californians were weird. Say what you want about Maine but at least they _cook_ the lobster first.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

Yeah, I have a problem with a recipe that starts by soaking the fish in drain cleaner (lye).

My dad always liked steak-and-kidney pie. Cooked in a slow cooker. I always said it smelled like when somebody whizzed in the sauna at the public pool. Bleeeech. I don't do guts.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

If the meat smells "fishy", it's rotten. Fresh or fresh-frozen fish doesn't smell bad.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

With the weenies, I like Maddog 20/20. The Vienna sausage are best accompanied by Wild Russian Vanya Wine.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Does to me. Just-caught fish can't be rotten, but they can smell. Taking the skin off helps, but a fish is a fish is a fish, skin or no. We're talkin fresh-wated fish here, salt-water is a whole 'nother thing.

I bet there is something that you don't like to eat, no matter how fresh it is or how it's cooked. I know someone who loathes mayonnaise. I eat it with abandon, love it on bologna sandwiches. I have a friend who would rather eat worms than cabbage. I've never met a cabbage that I didn't like. Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

There, see? I do guts. I Like steak-and-kidney pie, and I can eat my weight in fresh grilled calves liver, smothered in lightly sauteed Vidalia onions. Mmm, mmm, good! Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

In South Louisiana, where I spent a bunch of my early years, we thought nothing of eating raw shrimp and oysters. I learned how to really eat and enjoy fish when I lived in Japan. Sashimi, properly done, is to die for. Improperly done is to die from. Never had the nertz to go for Fugu. You know what they say about Fugu? Death is nature's way of telling you that you just made a mistake. Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

My wife always raved about the sauer nierenbraten at her old lokal in Stuttgart, a place called Kokenbaas. I think I agree with you about kidneys!

I did have a steak and stilton pie at a great pub/inn somewhere in Somerset, and it was really good. But all the rest of the pub grub we had in the UK, with the exception of some "lachsbrot" (as the Krauts would call it) - smoked salmon on good dark bread, well buttered, with thin rings of onion slices and a few small bits of mustard - we had at the Tigh an Truish on Seil Island, was pretty uniformly forgettable, varying from dull to grim.

Reply to
Steve Caple

The key is the onions. Back in a former life when I worked in the family restaurant, I used to do a truckload of chicken livers and onions. We had this customer who was a truck driver and he'd bring us 50 pounds of Vidallias at a time. His only payment was a double batch of chicken livers with a like amount of the onions sauted with the livers. I had a friend who would come in and have the chicken livers and dip them in dijon mustard. Dijon will pretty much make any marginal items a taste treat. A couple of drops of Tobasco habanero sauce will allow me to eat any type of liver, which I generally can't cope with. Prime Rib is an intirely different thing... My recipe involves at least a six pound piece of meat slathered with dijon, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and covered with thinly sliced onions. I slow roast it for two hours and then kick up the heat to

450 for the last 15 minutes to carmelize the onions. I've never had any complaints....

As for my vienna sausages, I like a couple of drops of the afore mentioned tobasco and a dollop of dijon. Tres continental...

Obligitory railroad reference: I have a copy of the C&O dining car cookbook put out by the C&O Historical Society and every recipe is a winner.

Claude Allen

Reply to
Claude H. Allen

Onions are the key to a great many western culinary delights. In fact I love onions so much that I use them as a stand-alone side dish. I prefer genuine Vidalias when I can get them, but ordinary yellow onions will work too. Peel them and cut off the roots and bake them in a Pyrex baking dish, much the same as you would apples. Coat them with a generous slathering of butter, honey, molasses, nutmeg (easy on the molasses and nutmeg, a little goes a very long way) and some Southern Comfort Bourbon liqueur. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at about 350F until soft and tender. They make an outstanding accessory to roast leg of lamb, venison, or pork.

I am not really all that fond of Vienna sausage, I just like them a great deal more than I do fresh-water fish. They travel well and are easy to eat. A generous dollop of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce improves them quite a bit.

Obligitory railroad reference: Best baked potato I ever ate was on Great Northern's Empire Builder.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Well, we've already covered guts, but stuff like rutabagas, turnips (OK in soup), and kohlrabi (the wife & kids love it boiled with the leaves, rice, & olive oil) will put me off really quick. Raw oysters, sushi, "cannibal sandwiches", liver sausage, etc. make me gag. The meat needs to be cooked. I was picky as a kid but got more adventurous as I grew up...but I still don't eat raw meat.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

Or ate too close to the dorsal fin. Or was it too close to the head. Something like that, so I don't eat Fugu either.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

If the chef nicks the liver, the customer won't be one.

Reply to
Steve Caple

My wife has an unreasoning dislike of parsnips. I love a mixed mash of potatoes, parsnips and kohlrabi.

Reply to
Steve Caple

A friend and fellow model railroader here in town made the statement one night when we went out to eat dinner that vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what the food eats. As for me, if I see you eat it, I will try it at least once. About the only things I really don't like or won't eat are fresh water fish and a scattering of really nasty gross things- like Balut for instance. I did try it when I was in the Philippines, and it's nasty. However, if you can get past the smell, you've got it licked.

As far as raw fish are concerned, a yellowfin tuna raw is as different from one cooked as night is from day. I don't like it once it's cooked. It's tough and smelly. But freshly caught and butchered on deck, it is a delicacy. Sweet and tender and no malodorous aroma.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

You sure those parasites haven't got to yopur brain?

Reply to
Steve Caple