FREIGHT CARS AND TERMINALS - a fascinating read!

Folks:
Just when I think the Internet is a vast cesspool of wasted effort, I run into something like this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sY45AAAAMAAJ
Wow. FREIGHT CARS AND TERMINALS, and you can read it all. It covers just about everything related to freight movement on US rails ca. 1912. This isn't just great for period modelers. A large proportion of our steam-era infrastructure was in place by then, or followed standards laid down in that era. Even today, a large part of our railroad infrastructure and the majority of our railroad routes were already there before the Great War.
Best of all, this book doesn't just cover the physical plant...it shows you how to use it! I discovered it when I was looking up information on poling yards.
Read it, folks! Readitreaditreadit! It's great.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a gappy table.
Folks:
Okay, I was too giddy and got the title wrong.
FREIGHT TERMINALS AND TRAINS.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a gappy table.

And don't forget his other book, "Passenger Terminals and Trains":
http://books.google.com/books?id=RG45AAAAMAAJ
John Droege was a Vice President of the New Haven Railroad, and these two books of his are considered the classic examples of railroad design and construction during the high water mark of American RR's power and influence (pre-WWI). For example, his thinking in most every example in the book is how to keep up with future expansion...there was no thought given to what if the RR's got smaller. RR's had only gotten bigger and bigger since the 1830's, and there was no indication before the war that it would ever be any different. J. P. Morgan (who Droege essentially worked for) would pay any lease to aquire a competing RR because the NH would simply out grow any debt... Oops. They are both excellent books, and if you want to know why certain things were built by the RR's, these two books explain most of it. BTW, the Freight book has been reprinted several times by the NMRA, and is still available last I checked. Internet books are fine and all (free, too), but they are a little hard to read in bed, outside on the hammock, on the porch, or at the layout.
FYI soft cover reprints are been available from the NMRA. See http://www.nmra.org/library /
There is also an equally good companion volume from Droege - Passenger Terminals and Trains - that war reprinted in hard cover by Kalmbach in 1969. Geezer

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:36:42 -0400, "Geezer"

The link to that one is
http://books.google.com/books?id=dt8gAAAAMAAJ&dq
Thanks, the PDF downloads are a great addition.
Jim