Help - Atlas SD-35 High Nose - Dismantle

How do you get the shell off the body?
I unscrewed both couplers. I thought then that the shell is just slipped off but it did not. I tried to pry with a small screw driver, but did not want to
break anything, so I decided to stop and ask here.
Thanks Chris
Chris wrote:

Chris, I don't have any SD35's, but it looks like they're very similar to the Atlas GP38's and 40's I own. Three sets of tabs, one by the rear of the long hood, one just behind the cab, and the third centered on the length of the short hood.
Rather than typing it all again, here's a link to the GP38/40 removal instructions: <http://www.atlasrr.com/Support/locoshell.htm#hogp38
And here's a link to an exploded view of the SD35 which clearly shows those tabs: <http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/HOSD35Locomotive.pdf
I have found that squeezing the body right over the walkway at the rear set of tabs, accompanied by a bit of rocking from side to side, works well.
Oh, and a minor nit: You're not removing the shell from the body, the shell *is* the body. You're removing it from the chassis.
HTH, Stevert
Stevert wrote:

Thanks. Got it apart. I just was not using enough force.
About your nit or my nit. What can I say AGE...... :)
Thanks again
Chris