HO steam shovel

Hoping someone here can help me. I'm looking for a small steam shovel in HO scale. Absolutely nothing shows up in any of the listings on the
Walthers site. Are there any manufacturers of what I'm looking for that are not with Walthers? Whether I have to build it is not a problem. The size I'm looking for is not one of those huge quarry monsters you see on Monster Machines on Discovery Channel.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC/NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail/D&H in N

CLose as I can come, Woodland Scenics Insley Model K, but it's a back hoe. Walthers 785-237.
Next would be 781-89701, but european type. Might be bashed.
Rich.
Jack wrote: From: Jack - view profile Date: Sun, Feb 26 2006 5:57 pm
Groups: rec.models.railroad Not yet ratedRating: show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author
Hoping someone here can help me. I'm looking for a small steam shovel in HO scale. Absolutely nothing shows up in any of the listings on the Walthers site. Are there any manufacturers of what I'm looking for that
are not with Walthers? Whether I have to build it is not a problem. The
size I'm looking for is not one of those huge quarry monsters you see on Monster Machines on Discovery Channel. --------------------------------------------------------- I believe Boley has some HO scale "cranes":
http://www.internettrains.com/bolconhoscal.html
You might try a toy store. They usually have construction equipment in various sizes.
Also I think GHQ and manufacturers of "white metal" castings might have what you want. Good luck!
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire http://www.billsrailroad.net
I am thinking the "Rio Grand Models" made a steam shovel at one time. Many small manufactures are not in the Walthers catalog anymore because of the cost.
Hit reply to soon. There is also a nice plastic one made but I just can't remember the name. I thought it was Jordan but not sure now. Ah, Vintage Vehicles
http://www.riograndemodels.com/HO.htm
#3011 Marion steam shovel $60 or #3013 AH&D ditcher $55 or
http://www.vintagevehicleshoscale.com /
VV-4 Listed as sold out and probably available only at ebay or shops that may have some left. These are really neat. This is the one I have. Sad that these quality items will no longer be available, see side bar!
Do you want a rail steam shovel or a crawler type.
For rail; while not exactly a steam shovel there is: Custom finishing with two cranes that might be usable, Tichy trains has a 120 ton brownhoist.
For the crawler type there is: Custom finishing back hoe. Herpa has a crawler excavator. Kibri has several construction vehicles of the excavator type, The best possibility that fits my impression of a 'steam shovel' is Kibri's 405-11265 Menck Tracked w/Shovel bucket. Walther's page 800 for $35.99usd. There is also 405-11254 Liebherr tracked excavator with dragline and bucket on page 802 for $64.99usd. Wiking also shows one, on page 828. It is called a Shovel Crane # 781-89701, and it is $24.99usd. Woodland scenics shows an Insley Model K with backhoe on a crawler chassis on page 833 for $13.98usd.
--
Please support the following train meets if you can
Gratiot Valley ( www.gvrr.org ) in Macomb Michigan in March and November

Rio Grande models has a number of shovels and ditchers , both rail and tracked models. Also , their kits are top drawer mdse. I have a number of them. http://www.riograndemodels.com/HO.htm
Also try Scale Stuctures Limited. I don't know their web site address off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can Google and find it. Here are some other people who may have what you're looking for. Sierra West Scale Models Western Scale Models Backwoods Miniatures.
Ken Day