Industries with enclosed loading

National Casket Co. Long Island City, NY (c. 1950's) facility received empty fabricated metal casket shells, bare seamless copper or bronze shells (horrendously expensive), and tons of lumber, fabric, stuffing, hardware, and fittings. Wood caskets were made on the premises. Bases were made for the seamless caskets and gaskets fitted. Caskets were lined and trimmed inside and had decorations, hinges, inner and outer lids, catches, and handles fitted there. Plaques were shipped separately so they could be engraved before fastening.

Steve Lynch

Steven Lynch

I was thinking it wouldn't have changed too much through the years but the layout I am dealing with is set in the Autumn of 1953. So I guess that is late transition era.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Glad they were empty!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Used to work for a Chicago (actually in Cicero) company - Danley Tool and Die - in the late 60's. They made all sizes of sheet metal forming presses and other components for Detroit and foreign car manufacturers. They had multiple tracks inside the plant so they could do straight shots moving disassembled press components straight onto flatcars for transport. Pretty impressive when they were moving press bodies that my family's house could have fitted inside...

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo

I am (finally!) getting around to doing the finishing touches on a structure based on that scenario. Here's a lumber yard that built on one side, then the other -- when it was finally time to add a small mill to the operations the only room left on the property was overhead:

Now granted, the loading isn't truly enclosed, but it does a good job of giving the appearance of that.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Here in Milwaukee, Miller Brewing Company loads its freight cars inside the distribution building. (Maybe I need to go on a brewery tour just to refresh my memory.)

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Those brewery tours seem to damage mine...

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

Skip Miller and go with Sprecher. Better brews.

No, I'm not calling "beer".

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Been there, done that, know what *I* like. Choice of beers is a personal thing, why do you feel it's necessary to drag it out on rec.models.railroad?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Er, uh, like steam vs. diseasel?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Chacun a son gout. You're right.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

-----------------

Thank you. I've snooped around that neighborhood on previous visits; I'll have to explore more deeply next trip. Any danger of ending up wearing handcuffs?

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

How about a rail car cleaning facility? They clean out whatever's left from the previous load so the car can be used to ship something else - normally foodstuffs.

Matt

Reply to
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

The well car in particular is outside the fence. I've been there 3-4 times, twice for more than an hour, and never had a problem. Of course, if they saw a guy going over a freight car with pen, paper, and a tape measure, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what's happening.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

----------------------- "JCunington" wrote

I'll make sure I bring along a towel to wrap around my head. If I'm going to cause some excitement, I may as well make some cop's day. I'm there when all the carnies are in town. Don't think it will take too long to get into trouble...

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Reply to
Roe Thomas