installing decoders

Hi: I'm in process of converting to DCC. I have allot of old Athearn engines. If I hook up the old Athearn head lights up to the decoder will
it be to many amps for it? and if I use led's do i have to put some sort of resister between them and the decoder? any help would be very much appreciated thanks :) Eddie
E. T. Atkins spake thus:

Doubt it. Check the decoder's specs for output current for that circuit.

Yes, and it's "resistor".
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I

No. It will work just fine. Yellow, white and blue wires. Blue is common to all lamps

Yes. If you replace the Athearn bulb with an LED you will be required to put a series resistor in the circuit. The typical LED you find at an electronics hobby store operates in the 1.5 - 3 volt range. There are others, but that is the most common range, and the one you are most likely to encounter. Calculating the value for a resistor in the circuit is not difficult and is based on the current requirement of the particular LED you choose. If you decide to go that route and need assistance, come back here with the details of the LED you choose and any of several regular posters to the group can lend a hand.
Miniatronics make a kit that has the LED and the proper resistor for use in a 12 volt circuit. The YelloGlow LEDs are the best looking IMO.
Main site: http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
White LED http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=6_4
Froggy
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040105020702040806070408 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
thanks for your help Froggy :)
Froggy wrote:

--------------040105020702040806070408 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Miniatronics make a kit that has the LED and the proper resistor for use in a 12 volt circuit. The YelloGlow LEDs are the best looking IMO.
Main site: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ">http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc </a>
White LED <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=6_4 ">http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&amp ;Category_Code=6_4</a>
--------------040105020702040806070408--

Here is a resistance calculator you might find useful:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LEDcalc.html

http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=6_4
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020005030805090303060008 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
thanks for the help Paul: i'm sure the resister calculator will be of a great help :)
Paul Newhouse wrote:

--------------020005030805090303060008 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LEDcalc.html ">http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LEDcalc.html </a>