Kato bumpiness

Have been laying track on my new layout- code 55, Atlas.

All my engines have wheels that are low enough profile...except my Kato mikado. All the drivers and tender wheels are fine, but the trailing tuck under the cab has wheel flanges that are too large. The result- bumpity bumpity bumpity bumpity.

Anyone know if there's a replacement wheelset for the trailing truck on this engine? It's one of my favorites, I'd hate for two wheels to prevent my using it. I'm not sure that I want to grind down the flanges myself, either....

tia

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill

Look into North West Short Line? Perhaps someone can provide a website?

Reply to
Ainsley Specialized Transport

Call them, they are very friendly.

Good luck, Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Andrew Bunn replied: Look into North West Short Line? Perhaps someone can provide a website? _________________________________

Here ya' go:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Hey Tim

Hehehehe...... when you say "grind" down the flanges yourself you make it sound harsher than it really is. Its more like "gently filling" them down.

I did this on a similar item by fitting one wheel on the axles and placing the axle in a small hand drill which was clamped in my bench vice. With a fine file I gently removed enough material off the flange to clear the track ties. Just enough pressure to gently take material off is all that is needed. Keep the file at a slight angle rather than just taking material directly off the outer edge. If you are still concerned about doing this then as others have already said, check out NWSL and if they have a set then you have nothing to lose and try correcting yours first. If it fails buy the new set.

Cheers Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Nichols

thanks y'all for the help...I will contact NWSL and see what the next step will be!

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill