Kato colors

I recently got some of the new Kato UP passenger cars to go with the earlier [1990's]set, and I found that they are darker Armour yellow than the earlier cars. Have my first cars faded, or are they using a darker color on the recent set? The new ones are a closer match for the LifeLike E6. But there is certainly a lot of variation in the UP yellow from different manufacturers, or even from the same manufacturer.

Reply to
harrym

There was also a lot of variation in the original cars. Yellow is not a very stable colour. And you can't rely on photos, since lighting conditions affect the recorded colour rather more than sun, wind and weather affect the original paint.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

What's your point?

There is similar variation in paint color in the prototype world, too. Mo two paint batches are identical when mixed, nor are any to painted surfaces identical after a month of exposure in the real world.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

What's your point?

There is similar variation in paint color in the prototype world, too. Mo two paint batches are identical when mixed, nor are any to painted surfaces identical after a month of exposure in the real world.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

I had a GN RS-2 in Empire Builder colors(from KATO), the orange was almost like the DAY GLOW colors the AF used to use on planes. WAY TOO BRIGHT!!

Reply to
John Franklin

That's typical. NOT desirable, just typical. :-(

a few well-worn observations ...

  1. All paint, model and prototype varies.

  1. Paint from different batches from the same manufacturer varies ... this was especially true more than a few years ago.

  2. Paint from different manufacturers varies MORE than paint from the same manufacturer.

  1. All paint exposed to the elements 'weathers'. This cases both fading and color shifts (since the different pigments used in the mix don't all fade at the same rate). The 'vehicle' (binder used) also color shifts, usually 'yellowing', and this too affects the result.

  2. Objects in different locations and under different conditions will weather differently. This is the normal case with train rolling stock.

  1. So, a RANGE of color is not only to be expected, it's DESIRABLE! It's PROTOTYPICAL!

  2. MANY model trains have colors that are WAY out of the acceptable range. You either learn to live with it, or repaint as needed.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell