Layout Question...

Pardon me if I am being something of a newbie here, but I have a couple of questions about layout design.

  1. What is a reasonable maximum grade for an extended slope? 3%? 4%?

  1. Atlas code 55 N scale track does not appear to have holes for tacking the track down. What is the preferred attachment method for this track?

Thanks! Dean

Reply to
D. Thompson

The typical up-and-over figure eight layouts found in toy train sets have grades of about 3.5%. It's workable, but the pulling power of locomotives can be seriously compromised on such steep grades. (Of course, figure-8 layouts by nature are small enough that long trains aren't a possibility.) Many modelers prefer limiting grades to about 2% or so. The grades are still noticable, but not so steep that they seriously limit train length.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Reply to
David P Harris