Loco Nicknames...

I once owned a 2-6-6-2 with an elusive short that I frequently called "you ~#$%&**+!!", but this one's apparently named "Oliver"...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0336171456&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
~Pete

Drat! He already fixed the listing!
(Had it listed as "Oliver" rather than "Oil Ver.")
Oh well...
~Pete

I like the heading of this one of his:
"Very unusual-runs smooth"
http://cgi.ebay.com/Varney-HO-A-B-Unit-1947-Very-Unusual-Runs-Smooth_W0QQitemZ160336171227QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
On 5/18/2009 8:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Varney-HO-A-B-Unit-1947-Very-Unusual-Runs-Smooth_W0QQitemZ160336171227QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
From what I've heard, it would be unusual for a Varney to run "smooth" (i.e., smoothly).
We should remember that for their time, these units were pretty spectacular.

called
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0336171456&fromM...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Varney-HO-A-B-Unit-1947-Very-Unusual-Runs-Smooth_W0QQitemZ160336171227QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"smooth"
spectacular.
My Varney's still run quite well, although with new motors these days.
Len
On 5/18/2009 8:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Varney-HO-A-B-Unit-1947-Very-Unusual-Runs-Smooth_W0QQitemZ160336171227QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
By the way, gotta say that I like this person's opening bid: 99 cents.
That's the way to go. No $21.99 nonsense. Start it at any token low amount, and it'll rise to its true price.

spake thus:

...but only if at least two people want it.
dlm
On 5/19/2009 8:54 AM Dan Merkel spake thus:

... which is kinda the very definition of "auction", isn't it? That's why you make these things called "bids".

spake thus:

Not sure where you are going but we have all seen things slip by for the lack of a bid. That doesn't mean that they are worthless; just at that time, no one was interested in one.
I've seen lots of good models come and go on Ebay that were a real steal but I didn't want them. Same is true at a live auction. The value is not necessarily the true price but simply the price that anyone was willing to pay for it at that place and at that point in time.
But having said that, I will admit to bidding on a few things from time to time that I only half wanted but didn't want to see them go at the price they were at. There I go, messing up the system. : )
dlm
On 5/21/2009 9:30 AM Dan Merkel spake thus:

Just to be clear, that's exactly what I mean by "true price"--whatever someone is willing to pay for the item *at that moment*. Not what's given in some book of a certain color.