Help shape the modelling future

A major manufacturer (name withheld by request) has asked the NMRA British Region to help decide what models they will manufacture in the
future.
They are trying "... to work out if there are any gaps in the American market which might be filled with a new model. The item needs to be popular with modellers, hand a reasonable lifespan and ideally appeared in several liveries".
Now it's over to you. What is on your 'wish list' which is not currently being manufactured. You need state:
Steam/diesel/electric Loco type: something about the original liveries you'd like to see etc.
Remember that, for a commercial organisation to spend time and money this has to have a reasonable chance of selling in some numbers.
Answers to me please as soon as possible. I have been promised that NMRA members will be given first notice if and when any new models are produced.
Please send e-mail messages to snipped-for-privacy@nmrabr.org.uk
You may also share this message with any other persons you think would provide useful information. The main consideration is that all replies must come via the NMRA British Region.
--
Mike Hughes
Marketing Co-ordinator NMRA British Region
Mike Hughes wrote:

So, with respect, why ask Brits about the American market?

The manufacturer is based in Europe. They want to see what will sell there first, then possibly move into the American market later.
That's why they want to get suggestions for new models from as many people as possible - they don't want to compete with models that may already be out there.
Hope this explains it for you.
--
Mike Hughes
Marketing Co-ordinator NMRA British Region
Mike Hughes wrote:

While outside of my modeling interest, the n-scale groups have been begging for a high quality Pennsy K-4 Pacific, a heavy Northern like the Santa Fe 2900 class and 'modern' 2-4-0 and 2-6-0 steamers. All the mfgrs seem to want to do the big articulateds, but the lowly power for the peddler local turn is woefully underrepresented.
fl@liner
fl@liner wrote:

Personally I'd like to see some new Alco C415 models, but since they only built 26 of them over a 2 year period it probably lacks the broad appeal that the unnamed manufacturer desires. It does have the variety of liveries - CRI&P, SP, SP&S (and later BN), as well as a few industrial railroads.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?locomotive=Alco%20C415
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
Mike Hughes wrote:

While not a specific model, I guess I have the same problem as many other modelers - my layout is small. While I can do some "running operation", I want to model a lot of switching and thus are interested in SMALL locos and rolling stock. That is small switchers, branch-line diesels and tank steam locos.
It is a great thing, being able to build a reasonably compact layout, but having those huge mainline diesels run on them just gives a bad impression.
What I see most are big main-line locos (e.g. Pacifics, large diesels), but the smaller ones (0-6-0 compact tank steamer, 0-4-0 diesel switchers) are rare.
Also rare are small diesel multiple-units. There are lots of modern trains, but I'm sure there is quite a range of older small DMUs. Units with a single wagon or up to three wagons, much rather than the large intercity trainsets.
Not sure whether this is a N-Scale-only problem ;-)
Ciao...
One thing I didn't see is what scale the manufacturer is most interested in. In N scale, all kinds of the smaller locos are going to be of interest. A lot of Moguls and Consolidations and so forth used basically the same wheelbase so one 6 wheel chassis can take a fair number of different shells on it to emulate a whole big number of smaller locos. Big changes in the cylinders can make a big appearance change in the frame.
-- Bob May
On Mon, 18 May 2009 11:42:50 +0100, Mike Hughes

I'm thinking, as a UK modeller recently moved to the USA, that probably what needs covering is the USRA classes (which ones aren't covered? Are any of the big ones missing?) and an "American" 4-4-0 to sell as "The General" &c.
What I want is an N&W M* 4-8-0, but that strikes me as a minority interest.
Or maybe not, given that the work of O Winston Link may well be influential on British modellers of US prototypes.
Tim

Mike, it would be really helpful if you mentioned the scale for this survey.
There are many popular scales out there. Of course I'm assuming H0 since many H0 modelers are pompous enough to think that their's is the only "real" scale worth modeling in, but I just have to ask. You see, N scale is also quite popular. I'm just mentioning 2 major ones and I do realize that there are many other scales too.
In message

The manufacturer is currently mostly into HO scale but they are also looking into the N scale market. Indeed they would consider any scale if they thought there was enough profit in it :-))