Major mods to dicast boilers

I've made major mods to dicast boilers [e.g. replacing cast-on domes with brass] by brute force: grinding and or sawing the old feature off. It's brutal and time-consuming. What am I missing [besides patience] ?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Maybe use a mill?

Those that have room & money graduate from hand tools & Dremel tool to some kind of mill; used Bridgeport, "small" verticle mill or something like a Sherline. Once you have one of these then you find more projects that "need" such a tool.

I had a Sherline mill (which can be converted to small lathe) with lots of accessories and while I got out of the hobby before I used it, it seemed a useful tool for a model railroader.

If you want to check them out go to:

Charles Seyferlich

=>What am I missing [besides patience] ? =>

=> TIA => Norm

A milling machine and a drll press.

But you'll still need lots of patience. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Also a good vise and a real die-grinder (not a 'dremel' sized tool). A die-grinder and a good bur can literally sculpt soft metals. It's not precise, so leave enough to finish with a file. A Mill is certainly better, but LOTS more expensive.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell