NG vs. Forum Posting Time

All,
Whenever I post to this newsroup, I get the following message:
"Your message has been posted to Usenet. Please note that it may take
anywhere from 3 to 9 hours for your message to appear on Google Groups."
Why is this? When I post to a Forum like Atlas, for example, I see my message posted immediately.
Just curious...
Take care,
Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily Modeling 1969)

Because you're posting to "UseNet", not to someone's web site.
Forums like Atlas, Trainorders and RailroadForums consist of software running on a web server. When you post, you're posting to that web server, so the message is immediately available.
When you post to a newsgroup (UseNet), the message goes to your local news server (in your case Google). Then, as Internet traffic allows, the message is distributed to other news servers around the world. It's low priority traffic, and the distribution method is set up to be slow-and-steady.
--Dan
"Dan O'Connor" <dan[at]ferrarishields.com> wrote:

And to be a little more anal....
I post via my local ISP's news server (Comcast) and use Agent to post with, I don't get that silly message. I just have to know that it will be awhile before I see my own posting.
Dave.
On 8 Oct 2003 12:18:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (Paul K - The CB&Q Guy) wrote:

This is not a Google group, although Google wants you to think it is. It's a usenet group. Google is just one of many ways to post to it. Usenet is propogated by peer-to-peer hosts, rather than through a single host like the Atlas forum, Trainorders, and other non-usenet forums. So it can take some time for your post to make it's way to all of the news servers in the world. In fact I dare say, there's some it might _never_ make it to.
Andy ----------------------------------------------------------- http://www.duckcreek.org - Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology -----------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com (Andy Harman) wrote in message

Is there a way to ensure this happens for all of MrRathburns postings?
Charles snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Charles Bix) wrote:

Well, if you use a nice functional newreader, (like Agent) you can setup "kill filters" that can delete or ignore the postings at your end. I have several for this group. Many more in others.
Dave.
     snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com (Andy Harman) writes:

Are they refering to, what used to be, dejanews.com (groups.google.com)? Which is an archive retrival site and only updates the archive every couple of hours.

--
Working the Rockie Road of the G&PX

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:45:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com (Paul Newhouse) wrote:

Yes, Google took over dejanews, in fact I think the domain is still good but will take you to Google's groups archive.
Google does provide usenet access via a web interface, but their server seems actually a tad slower than the Suscom news server. In fact, if I post something via Suscom, it shows up instantly on Suscom. If I post something via Google, it often shows up on Suscom before it shows up on Google.