oops hobby lobby?

I posted this wrong the first time, my question is, a hobby lobby is being built here in town, and I was wondering do they sell model railroad stuff. n scale to be exact. thanks

Reply to
kingkong

Typically, they don't carry much from what I've seen. They do carry some sets. limited track, and scenery materials. If you watch the ads, they have a half-price sale occasionally.

Don't forget the other supplies you might need, though - paint, glue, brushes, etc.

Jeff Sc. Mall Of, Ga.

Reply to
not.fishplate

We have a couple of HL stores here in Albuquerque, all in recycled K-Mart or supermarket stores so the interior size varies as does the layout. But each has a very small section of model railroad stuff that varies with the time of the year. I have never seen more than one-third to one-half of one side of an aisle, usually with one aisle of the Pinewood Derby and Hot Wheels stuff.

Last two Christmas-New Years they have had half-price sales and I hit our local stores. Here in ABQ they usually have the Woodland Scenics and Mini-Metals stuff in both N and HO and I have stocked up. likewise with WS plaster gauze and ground foam type stuff. The trains and track are usually low end toy train sets and ModelPower flex track. The truly awful Life-Like sub-toy quality rolling stock also appears. Sometimes there have been odd-lot plastic building kits that support my kitbash fixation.

For the most part the store caters to the female side of the population with everything from rubber-stamp supplies to silk flowers to beads, t-shirt painting and all sorts of craft-kitsch. This is NOT a "Tim Taylor" type of retailer. If you are expecting a "guys" hobby retailer, you will be disappointed. But look for the half-price sales at odd times of the year, you may find the unusual treasures. I have.

Richard Albuquerque Richard Albuquerque

Reply to
Richard Sullivan

Yes and no. They carry train sets, some track, and "low end" (toy quality) rolling stock, locomotives, and structures. They do carry Woodland Scenics stuff for scenery needs. They carry paint and air brush supplies.

They do not carry locomotives and rolling stock that I would consider having on my layout. Let alone any high end stuff like Kato. They do not carry any serious parts like Micro-Trains Kadee couplers, or detailing pieces. And as far as I know they don't carry any (non-Christmas) lights or electronics

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:01:45 -0700, Richard Sullivan shared this with the world:

Looking thru non-railroad sections of this place (and any craft store) with your "modeller's eye" on can be rewarding. I found some tiny spring clothes pins in the doll house section of a craft store. They are as cheap as the full sized ones, and they are great for clamping things in tight quarters. I've also found mould making rubber, basswood, and other useful stuff. I also got a dual-action Badger air brush at 40% off at a craft store.

Not all the modelling supplies are in the train department.

Reply to
Kent Ashton

That is true enough. I started keeping that weather eye out when my son was a Cub Scout - lots of neat craft-type raw materials, beads, tongue depressors, odd shapes in different scales and over the years, this has generated the most eclectic supply of flat car and box car loads, scenic details and such. Letters to supplement Blair Line (?) signs, and nondescript roof and r-o-w litter as well.

And then there are always the acrylic paints in hues that offer endless possibilities for disguising that fifth version of the old Revell tower....

Richard Albuquerque

Reply to
Richard Sullivan

Reply to