Plans available online?

Does anyone know of a good site to find plans or dimensional drawings of plate girder bridges, trestles, water towers, etc?

raydunakin

I don't know of the plans, but I scratch built a couple replica bridges based on downloaded photographs and engineering stats. I then had to make my own drawings based on the measurements I took from the photos. I was also able to enlarge the photographs, to a 1:160 scale - full size Nscale, to work with as well. The resultant bridges are not the ones in the photographs, but they do look very life like and realistic.

Small details which I am still working on, like having a 'work crew' sandblasting the old orange paint and rust off, to put a new green coat on, really bring it to life.

Carolyn

Reply to
carolyn

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Don't know any online sources (there are some, and others can tell you about them), but I do know one excellent print source: _Mainline Modeler_ magazine. If you can somehow get ahold of some back issues, you'll find a treasure trove of excellent plans for every conceivable type of structure, including bridges, trestles, water towers, stations, coaling towers, you name it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Back in 1980, my wife spent $5.00 (a huge sum at the time for us) to buy me a little Kalmbach book called "Bridges & Buildings for model railroads," edited by Willard V. Anderson and the moel railroader staff. It was the 7th printing of a book first published in 1965.

I have no idea if it is still published but it has been a great resource on bridges and rail-side structures.

glc

"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

Reply to
no spam

These are PRR standard plans but they probably cover most of what you mentioned and much more.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Best link & site i've seen in months! Thanks!!!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

You wouldn't happen to know a similar site for Santa Fe, Reading , Wabash or Lehigh Valley

Grtz Jan

Reply to
Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen

Jan, Unfortunately I don't. I'm sure that there are numerous drawings for structures and equipment for the roads you mentioned though. Best bet would be to check out the net for the historical and preservation sites concerning these railroads. With a little luck and some surfing you may find a few drawings on line but should at least be able track down a source where you can get your plans. If you do find any let us know. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger