Proto2000 GP20 flywheel rubbing on weight

I picked up a Proto2000 GP20 at a show the other day, and have been working on getting it running again. After cleaning the drive train (including the gears going to the axles), the locomotive runs smoothly.

However, upon reassembly the flywheel on the long nose end rubs against the weight. I attempted to repair it by removing, checking, and reinstalling the motor, but only succeeded partway. The flywheel still rubs against the weight, but not as badly.

How can I fix this? I'm not sure if it worked correctly in the first place, since the lube had set up the wheels wouldn't even turn.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I can't see an easy way to fix the motor mount, so I'd be inclined to work on the weight. You could fiddle with it so that it sits a few thou higher, or else file off a few thou where it makes a difference.

Good luck.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

You basically didn't put something back where it came from! I'd suspect that the weight sn't properly seated in its place. this is akin to the plastic kits where it isalmost impossible to get them back into the box after you open them and take out the various parts. There is only one way that they go together again!

-- Bob May

Bob May

"Bob May" wrote in news:1dKdnXM-UruA66_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@o1.com:

It doesn't look like it's set up that way. The screws should align the frame back to where it's supposed to be.

Maybe a set of Kadee coupler washers would provide the necessary clearance.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Wolf K wrote in news:fjkYn.398356$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Good idea. I could drop a few washers in between the weight and frame and raise it that little bit higher.

The only thing I haven't tried with the motor mount is to take it off, swap the rubber mounts side-to-side and reinstall it. Other than that, you're right... there is no way to adjust the motor mounts.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

if it is an Athearn style mount, you should be able to twist it slightly left or right. Make sure the motor is level and inline with the chassis.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote in news:4c3307b9$0 $4997$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

That seems to have fixed it! It's running smoothly now, and not scraping on the weight.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

glad I could help. It worked every time when a customer had the same problem.

then you will never have trained a master.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum