Re: DCC Controller Features

True, just as blocking an analog DC layout is of no interest to anyone who's using DCC, and a thread about N-scale rolling stock is of no interest to an HO-er, a thread about Kato track is of no interest to someone who uses Atlas, etc., etc., and so forth. If universal interest were the criterion, there would be no legitimate topics.
Ah well, as you suggested, perhaps we'll just have to remain in disagreement. Happy RRing!
-- Bill McC.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:49:13 +1300, Gregory Procter

Ah, but this is rec.~models~.railroad. You'll be wanting misc.transport.rail.*
If DCC has nothing to do with the modeling of railways, then neither do 90% of the threads on this group.
Cheery Littlebottom wrote:

So what is a DCC decoder a model of? ;-)
Regards, Greg.P.
Gregory Procter wrote: > >> If DCC has nothing to do with the modeling of railways, then >> neither do 90% of the threads on this group. > > So what is a DCC decoder a model of? ;-)
What is block control a model of?
Mark Newton wrote:

Railway operating blocks.
I thought the engineer stayed inside the cab and operated the throtle (decoder) not jumping out to through block switches.
Gregory Procter wrote:

Chuck Kimbrough wrote:

The signalman operates the blocks. I thought the engineer sat in the drawing office and designed the locos.
If you just want to be the engine driver then that's fine for you (the origin of my "slot car driver" comment) however there are a multiple of tasks on the railway that are also interesting. I like the option of taking on a different role on my layout at times.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 05:22:40 +1300, Gregory Procter
That's an Engineer who does the design...
Cheery Littlebottom wrote:

Gee, I'm glad we finally agree on something!
Gregory Procter wrote:
>> I thought the engineer stayed inside the cab and operated the >> throtle (decoder) not jumping out to through block switches. > > The signalman operates the blocks.
Only in a system where fixed signals control entry into the section. In a sytem with no fixed signals or block working, this is irrelevant.
Mark Newton wrote:

In that case, the dispatcher controls the entry of a train into a block, whether real or notional, using various systems such as train orders or even simple radio transmitted verbal permission.

Like all Mark Newtons posts on this subject, irrelevant. There are plenty of DC systems that automatically select the blocks.
--
Terry Flynn

http://angelfire.com/clone/rail/index.html
Terry Flynn wrote:

All along I've said that DCC is suitable for some prototypes and situations while analogue is better suited to others. If you have no blocks and do not wish to emulate a prototype that has them, then DCC is for you. If your prototype is otherwise then analogue may be better suited to your needs. In the case of the prototype operation I am modelling, the wiring is equally complex either way but DCC requires expensive and unrepairable off the shelf decoders while analogue requires (in my case) fairly complex PC programming.
Regards, Greg.P.

So far so good. At this point you are spot-on

Here is the part that makes no sense. There is no full size prototype railroad in the world upon which the trains are controlled by routing electrical current to the tracks and/or varying the amplitude thereof. Even totally electric railroads do not control the speed and direction of the trains by messing about with the electrical feed. It is there and on at all times. All the control takes place inside the locomotive unit either by the engine driver, or communication between computers, or some such arrangement. The DCC unit uses the decoder to perform exactly this function. It emulates the engine driver or the control computer inside the locomotive unit. In the real world, a locomotive that is controlled by an engine driver may move upon any track, in any direction at any time. Only the knowledge of and obedience to the rules of operation prevents chaos and injury. On a DCC model railway the same is true. This is precisely the feature that makes it so great. I do not know why you want to think that because the engine driver has complete control of, and responsibility for his charge that we are children racing slot cars. We are most demonstrably not. In fact, operators in our modeling group are required to pass a rules examination every year. Since we no longer rely on electrical blocks and power routing, cab selection and all the other DC accouterments that were so restricting, we can concentrate on refining our operations to a much higher level of realism. On some layouts, routes are selected by a dispatcher and signals are automatically set by track conditions existing within the route selected. On others, everything is manual and signals are controlled by conditions on the tracks. On yet others, everything is manual and there are no signals. However, the current and voltage to the tracks is never affected. It is entirely the responsibility of the engine driver to know and obey all operating rules and to know whether the route selected is the correct one for his train. Engines working in close proximity, such as in yards, must keep their wits about them and be aware of what is going on around them. No one has exclusive right to any piece of track other than by verbal or written order. There is no shutting off of the power or cab selection. This is the purest emulation of real world, full size railroading I have yet seen. I presently have a small switching railroad that is built in a 22 X 24-foot room. It is a model of an urban industrial district. There is no mainline track and operation consists of setting out and picking up cars from a number of industries. I can operate five locomotives simultaneously with five operators without one single switch or device of any kind that has to be controlled by either an operator or a computer. I do not own a computer other than the one I am using now and it has no connection whatever with my model railroading. I operate on another layout that is in a 2200 square foot room. It too has not a single point of interface between the electrical system and the operator, other than jacks for the handheld units to plug into, of course. Many operators have infrared or radio units that do not require even that. All in all, it is a most delightful system that relieves everyone from learning how to operate the electrical system of the layout and concentrate on a higher level of prototypical operation of the trains that run on it.

Decoders are not expensive. We can argue that forever, because it is a matter of perception. You think $15 is expensive, I do not. There is no end to arguing that point. Decoders are not unrepairable. Anyone who can build models can repair a decoder unless the microprocessor fails. If that happens, you have to replace it. I have never had that happen to me yet, and I've been using decoders for almost ten years now.
Regards, Obnoxious Pratt

Where you are, perhaps, but in this Part of Canada, they go for about Can$30.00 each, plus around 14.5% tax.
Now that ain't cheap.
-- Cheers Roger T.

You are correct, It ain't, but have heart. At the current trend the Canadian $ may once again soon be worth more than the US $ like it was up 'till the '70s.
Regards, Obnoxious Pratt.
"Roger T." wrote:

My decoders have to travel 8-12,000 miles over sea before meeting our Customs department. (sounds of numerous cash registers ringing) Effectively I have to have a spare one of every type in my spares/repair box, or be prepared with at least one extra loco of every type (a lot where steam is the norm) over the number for analogue.
Regards, Greg.P.
Roger T. wrote:

Roger - how long ago was the PST dropped to 7% ?
PS - basic decoders = low $20s.
Bill
"B Dixon"

GST is 7% and in BC, the Provincial Sales Tax is 7.5%.
Thus, 7% plus 7.5% = 14.5%
Decoders in my local stores, still Can$30, plus tax.
-- Cheers Roger T.
-- Cheers Roger T.
Roger T. wrote:

Don't know what backwater of BC you live in Roger but the PST was dropped to 7% a few months ago just before the Surrey by-election that the Liberals tried to buy but lost.
Bill Dixon