Re: Flynn writes a naughty word, was: Station masters cottage - Helensburgh



That one looks good, Mark, I can now say I have seen a sharp looking Australian Steam Locomotive. Thanks.
--
Will
N Scale - Credit Valley Railway
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Poor Will, the 13's were a neat little loco perhaps not the most gorgeous loco but what really is. All depends what you were brought up on. At one time I would never have entertained the thought of having a US loco as I thought they were the most un-aesthetically pleasing loco's ever built. But things change and so do attitudes. So now how do I get away with running a C&O H-8, as one example which is gorgeous, along with my NSW locos. I know I'll make it an AD 63 class and come up with a you beaut reason for doing it. :)
Regards Charles Emerson Bellbird, NSW, Australia
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charles emerson wrote:
> Poor Will, the 13's were a neat little loco perhaps not the most > gorgeous loco but what really is. All depends what you were brought > up on.
In that respect I was fortunate. My father had extremely catholic taste in steam engines, as a result I was brought up on an extraordinary variety of steam locomotive types. So these days there is very little I don't find interesting. In some respects, I reckon the uglier, the better!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark, Yes I now think that way but I do make exceptions in regards to anything with UP on the side especially after the Espee takeover. But steam is steam I do love most steam locos although there are a few only a mother could love ie: camelbacks, climaxes, shays, bigboys, and anything with G.W.R from pommyland.
regards Charles Emerson Bellbird, NSW, Australia

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have an H0 brass factory painted Australian 4-6-4, believe it is a Class R, manufactured in the 60s by Kumata [KMT]. It is stylish and s well proportioned with cow-catcher and Belpaire firebox. With the exception of the small smoke-lifters, it could almost pass for something the Pennsy might have tried. Definitely a good-looking steam locomotive.
Ray Hobin NMRA Life # 1735; TCA # HR-78-12540; ARHS # 2421 Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have an H0 brass factory painted Australian 4-6-4, believe it is a Class R, manufactured in the 60s by Kumata [KMT]. It is stylish and s well proportioned with cow-catcher and Belpaire firebox. With the exception of the small smoke-lifters, it could almost pass for something the Pennsy might have tried. Definitely a good-looking steam locomotive.
Ray Hobin NMRA Life # 1735; TCA # HR-78-12540; ARHS # 2421 Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Mr Jardine, you leave our flies alone......."
DPC James McInerney
STOP! In The Name Of The Lore!
At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , homepage for "Lambing Flat" my HO NSWGR branchline, includes information on the full size NSWGR. http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html for the "Rurr Valley Railway", my G gauge West Coast of Tasmania garden line or http://members.optusnet.com.au/lambingflat/ for the family stuff!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Very very good James, but a bit deep for rec.models.railroad me thinks.
Werris

Yard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
werris wrote:
> Very very good James, but a bit deep for rec.models.railroad me > thinks.
Yeah, save the literary allusions for the mongrel toffs on aus.rail.models!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

aus.rail.models!
literary allusions?
IIRC, it is what an okker on the SCG hill yelled at a certain English cricket captain in the early 1930s. Not really mongrel toffs stuff, more like drunken yobbo stuff!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I don't know about the 1307 At Clyde Yard but I sure like the Lambing Flats locomotives. Like the scenery too..... looks a lot like where I live in Texas. Bruce

Yard.
line
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Newtons words. I never said US railroads are a stupid looking boring foreign prototype. This is another Mark Newton distortion. It is my opinion Mark Newtons chosen model is a stupid looking boring foreign prototype.

Will, you need to look at more Australian steam before making such a general statement, simply because many Australian locomotives are US designs. There are plenty of ugly locomotives, and North America has its fair share.
--
Terry Flynn

For HO scale track standards go to
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Terry Flynn, The Worlds' Greatest Model Railroader, wrote:
> Will, you need to look at more Australian steam before making such a > general statement, simply because many Australian locomotives are US > designs. There are plenty of ugly locomotives, and North America has > its fair share.
What's this bullshit you're spinning now? Are you claiming that all the ugly Australian steam locos are of US design??????
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Newton wrote:

In Fact Terry Flynn makes an extremely subjective statement. If he wants to talk about how NSWGR steam maintance procedures were better those employed on US class 1 roads he is extremely welcome to it. Because I can tell you all now and as a fan of the NSW prototype the US class 1 shit all over us in that department. And another fact that Mr Flynn would probably like to ponder is that most of the NSWGR steam fleet was in technical terms obsolete in every way shape or form by about 1930 With the exception of the 36,38,57-58,59 60 classes. And even then the 36's and 38's were not at the cutting edge. Hell most African countries/colonies were operating a more technically advanced steam fleet that what the NSWGR was in 1955.
To me, Mr Flynn just sounds like one of those GWR/BR western region foamers. Which I had the pleasure of calling an idiot when he said the Western class diesels were a much better locomotive than the Alco DL 500.
--
Greg Rudd

Spam Bait
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Greg Rudd wrote:
> In fact Terry Flynn makes an extremely subjective statement. If he > wants to talk about how NSWGR steam maintance procedures were better > those employed on US class 1 roads he is extremely welcome to it. > Because I can tell you all now and as a fan of the NSW prototype the > US class 1 shit all over us in that department. And another fact that > Mr Flynn would probably like to ponder is that most of the NSWGR > steam fleet was in technical terms obsolete in every way shape or > form by about 1930 With the exception of the 36,38,57-58,59 60 > classes. And even then the 36's and 38's were not at the cutting > edge. Hell most African countries/colonies were operating a more > technically advanced steam fleet that what the NSWGR was in 1955.
His initial comment criticised the appearance of the head-end brakeman's shelter on one of my model locomotives. The provision of such an amenity should be contrasted with those of the majority of the NSWGR fleet, where the enginemen were very poorly provided for in terms of amenities. The typical loco cab only had timber planks for seating, and no glazing in the cab sidesheet "porthole". Which, incidentally, was mainly useful for allowing cold winds and rain into the cab.
But then, Flynn is a mere dilettante - he has no experience of the very harsh working conditions that railwaymen took for granted during the steam era.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Neither do you expert, a week end coal shoveler. You are not old enough to have experienced the working conditions of 1955. Of course if you knew how to properly restore a NSW locomotive, you would know that Thow's design of side sheet were fitted with canvas curtains, designed to limit rain and wind into the cab. Unlike yourself, I was trained in steam fitting, inspection, testing and design, but instead of railway locomotives, it was steam ships. An efficient railroad would not need a head end brakeman's shelter.
--
Terry Flynn

For HO scale track standards go to
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Terry Flynn, The World's Greatest Self Promoter, wrote:
> An efficient railroad would not need a head end brakeman's shelter.
So what are you saying, that the NKP was inefficient?
If that's the case, then it can hardly be:
"boring, from a prototype and a design point of view".
You were pontificating elsewhere that:
"In fact it is the inefficient railway which makes the most interesting subjects to model."
So which is it? Can you resolve your own contradiction?
Further, you proclaim that :
"Efficient railways have standardised locomotives and equipment. This results in lack of prototype variety."
So the NSWGR, which was an efficient railway, with standardised locomotives and equipment, can't be very interesting to model, if your opinions have any weight.
How do you reconcile these contradictory views?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Terry Flynn, The World's Greatest Model Railroader, wrote:
> It's simple, the prototype you have chosen for your HO layout is > boring, from a prototype and a design point of view.
(snip)
> You cannot make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Then you will have > an equally boring string of box cars to pull behind it.
(snip)
> Your choice of HO prototype is a real dud.
So there you have it. My US prototype is boring, box cars are boring, and my US prototype is a real dud, according to the World's Greatest Model Railroader.
It must be true.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So far you don't have any argument that say's any different.
--
Terry Flynn

For HO scale track standards go to
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Greg Rudd wrote:
>>>> You might just as well state that I should listen to Percy >>>> Grainger's music, rather than Mahler's, because in your opinion >>>> Mahler is a stupid sounding boring foreign composer. But if I >>>> happen to like Mahler, nothing you say, nor any opinion that >>>> you hold, will change my mind, or detract from my enjoyment of >>>> his work.
> One thing I do know is that Percy Grainger certainly had a liking for > the lash.
Yes, he was fond of flogging - remind you of anyone?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.