San Francisco Street Railroading In 1909! (Film.)

Dunno about any others.

~Pete

Great footage, Thanks. Got to show it to my wife, as her mother was in SF, as a child, for the big one.

Reply to
LDosser

Folks, I reckon that the S.F. system is the last true cable tram system left in the world. The Melbourne one closed just after the start of the war, in

1940. One day there were cable trams running in Bourke St., the next morning, double-decker buses! Now there are electric trams. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Pearce

There are cable trams operating at Llandudno in North Wales. These are permanently attached to the cable and it runs like a balanced funicular. But the lower section is street running

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I found this info on the video. Have not checked it out yet. Someone sent this to me. Probably not that important.

----------------------------------------------------------------- The film to which you refer was, in fact, made before the earthquake of 1906. The cable cars, like the one from which the film was shot, were not restored on Market Street after the 'quake.

There are, incidentally, several rare views of "pre-quake" electric street cars including the excursion car "San Francisco, in the film.

The Ferry Building, at the east end of Market Street in the "second" ferry building having been constructed in 1896.

The San Francisco Exploratorium, working with the University of San Francisco, produced a beautiful re-make of this wonderful film several years ago.

The film was originally called "Down Market Street, 1905." And, there can be no question that the film was made before the earthquake, which was April

18, 1906. Cable cars, which ran up Market Street onto five different branches including Valencia, Hayes, McAllister, Haight, and Castro Streets, were not restored after the 'quake, but rather were replaced by electric street cars. As for verification of the "second" Ferry Building (to which I referred), there is a plaque on the front of this magnificent structure indicating its completion date, 1896. At the end of the original film is a view of this plaque. The "first" Ferry Building was a much less imposing structure.

Rich