Signals for the garden railway?

What experience is there of materials for the spectacles of railway signals (red, green/blue and orange) from glass, or some form of translucent plastic?
My railway is 16mm in the garden, but as signals are intended for the human operators, I'm going for 1/12th scale signals.
(Yes, by modelling the 15 inch railways, the railway would also be 1/12th scale, but currently all my rolling stock is 16mm scale)

So, is your scale & layout like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90eSlP-vt0
16mm NGM West of Scotland Group at the Greenock Model Railway Show 2014
wrote in message...

Actually better represented by the (Brit) national society ...
http://www.16mm.org.uk/newsite/default.html

Neat photos in "gallery". Thanks.
wrote in message...

No doubt a bit of a long commute for you, but the national show on Sat 11th in a few days' time is highly recommended.
(See above web site for details)

Yes, long commute. But your invite is welcome and not totally unrealistic. Until about 2 months ago we had planned on spending several weeks this month visiting out daughter in London. But then commitments & schedules got crossthreaded. Have fun at it.