Thin Electronic Wire

Ray Haddad wrote:

No Ray, you yanks supported him through the first 2 million slaughterings. He's gone because you needed Iraq's oil.

<snip>
NEWSFLASH: This is a model railroading newsgroup. Take your political discussions elsewhere or take it to e-mail. No one here cares if your country is insulted (unless it's about how they run railroads or manufacture railroad models). No one here cares if you feel you must be the white knight, freeing the world's oppressed. People here care about model railroading. If you care about model railroading, STOP TALKING POLITICS HERE!!! My god, there are thousands of political newsgroups, websites, forums and blogs on the 'net. Why do you people insist on turning r.m.r into one? Give it a frickin' break, for pete's sake. This is the only non-moderated, non-owned, unbiased place on the entire internet to talk model railroading, and you and your political discussions are killing it. Please, for the love of model railroading, stop it. And if in the future, you see that someone is talking smack about your country, send them an e-mail or, better yet, ignore it. You aren't going to change their mind anymore than they are going to change yours. It's pointless to post your politics here. It's like trying to talk sense into a boulder, or hold back the tide with your bare hands. It's a total waste of time.
Paul A. Cutler III r.m.r Deputy Sheriff ************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Don't let the Ozzies get ya down, Greg. Some of us really like you Kiwis. I've used your shoe polish for years.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

We like the Aussies Steve, really we do! Where else could we send our convicts, down-and-outers, surf-bums and excess builders without recrimination?
Regards, Greg.P.

Two?? I note four persons who have submitted multiple posts to this heading. Human nature being what it is, I'm sure each one believes that it is two of the remaining three that you have in mind. Thank you.
Jerry
Tom wrote:

Nah, it's blow-ins, wannabe moderators and fuckwits who can't even properly spell the words they use to convey their confected outrage who "have ruined this once great forum"...
It's *ignorance*...
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:14:29 +1000, Mark Newton wrote:

Hey, now, it's obviously a bit of dyslexic fingers at work. Some of us aren't anal enough to run spell checkers on simple posts, Cnut.
Oh - you aren't of Norse extraction?
--
Steve

Dyslexics of the World Untie!
Greg Procter wrote:

Yes, you should. I'm about the only ally you're ever likely to have here on r.m.r. Calling me a Yank is like calling you an Aussie...

Only a tax-payer - never a voter. By your "logic", you as a "voter and tax-payer" must have been responsible for the antics of Piggy Muldoon and Roger Douglas. You accept that, do you?
Mark Newton wrote:

Absolutely: - I voted against Rob Muldoon but I accepted that his party won a majority of the vote. Roger Douglas is a slightly different matter - I voted for his party - they did the opposite of that which they said they would do. Whatever, NZ forces were in Vietnam slaughtering peasants and my taxes were going towards paying for that crime - I was part of the NZ protest against that action.
Greg Procter wrote:

As if that make it alright.

More fool you, then.

Good, something we can agree on. I've been arrested at one anti-Iraq war demo, and monstered by the special branch at another. Don't you ever *dare* suggest I'm complicit in, or support, Australia's involvement in Iraq.
Mark Newton wrote:

It most definitely didn't, but many of us stood up against him and made our feelings known.

It's a lesson we needed to learn the hard way.

Just as I did when NZ took part in Vietnam, you took part in a democratic process that elected your politicians. My taxes were used (amongst other things) to send our military there, yours pay for Aussies to oppress Iraqis. NZ took part in Vietnam in _my_ name, Aussie takes part in Iraq in _your_ name. It's a tough call! ;-) If Iraq somehow managed to retaliate by bombing your city/town/outback would you blame them?
Regards, Greg.P.
When we

Mark, you can in fact do this now by simply marking 1 on your house of reps ticket. Its not illegal, nor is it a donkey vote. And, unlike the Senate ticket, does it follow a predetmined course - i.e. 1-2-3-4... it simply goves your 1 vote to your choice, and there it stops.
scoot
Mark Newton wrote:

The Weissmans had moved to Miami.
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Ray Haddad wrote:

You holidayed here this year???? We went metric back in 1974. Even before that we didn't know what yank wire gauge was.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:11:08 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

What has metric to do with it? It's your brain that can't make the transition regarding wire sizes. They've been in use since long before 1974, Greg. If you didn't know the international wire gauges, that's a personal problem not a global political issue. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I've no problem with _international_ wire gauges. AWG is _US only_ and not in the least international. Even before we went metric no-one knew what AWG was.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:56:20 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No one? American wire was sold around the world. Even in that backwater country known as New Zealand.
The only one who missed the boat is you, Greg. Just you. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

and the other 95% of the world's population!
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:21:37 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You got a valid reference for that 95% claim? There are millions of miles of wire in New Zealand that uses the wire gauges. Even the brand new CAT5 and telephone cable is AWG wire. Your computer is full of it. Go ahead. Look at the tiny letters on the wire. Without AWG wire, you'd be silenced forever over there.
If only. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Certainly. If you put your little brain into gear you could divide 6 billion by 300 million and figure 5% all by yourself - the 95% is of course 100% - 5% 95%.

How would you figure that? We export more electronics equipment to the USa than we import electronis equipment from the USa.
We import electrical and electronics wire from around the world, pre 1985 generally from nations we exported to which was largely British Commonwealth and Europe. Britain of course had it's own unintelligible wire gauge standards (ie not AWG) and Europe Metric. Since 1985 we've bought such gear mostly from Asia as our traditional suppliers became more expensive.

Wire in the real world is measured in millimetres2 - it may well equate to AWG sizes (well Duhh!) but no-one uses such sizing terminology unless of course they are selling to the USa.
Regards, Greg.P.