Thin Electronic Wire

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:26:59 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Nonsense. The UK, China, India, Australia, Taiwan and New Zealand all use AWG standards for reference. Look at the tiny words printed on your computer power cable or your network cable, Greg. The AWG reference standard is printed right on it.

Irrelevant, Greg. The wire used is AWG wire.

Bzzt! No, they use AWG when they use AWG wire. Simple.

Um, not it's not Greg. It's AWG wire and when it is, AWG reference standards are used. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I just happen to have a spare power cable right here: <VDE> Lucky United HO5VV_F 3 G 0.75mm2 KEMA-KEUR +s+s+sHDNS [logo] Q98250 227 IEC53(RVV) (logo) CH0035551-99 repeat ...
OK, so where amongst that lot is the AWG??? I can see the metric wire size. Ray, old thicko, the manufacturers change the coding to suit the intended market, <sheesh>

Where would we get AWG wire from? and why???

Of course, but you fail to show any usage by British and European manufacturers of AWG standards. I imagine they get wire manufacturers to print AWG specs on wires intended for export to the USa.

It's wire - it measures equally well in metric measurements or AWG. 0.75mm probably equates to some number in AWG, but as we don't use AWG I wouldn't have a clue what AWG code it equates to without reference to a set of tables. 0.75mm on the other hand is right there on my micrometer, my vernier calipers, my lathe, my milling machine etc etc. I can calculate the cross-section, the surface area, the resistance and numerous other factors without problem. For AWG I need a set of tables, as does everyone else.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:14:29 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No. You're wrong. No surprise there. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I just typed out all the markings on the computer cable from beside the desk - you're claiming I can't read printing on a computer cable??? <you're nuts>
Regards, Greg.P.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:47:44 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I can probably go to your house and find dozens of wires and cables that have AWG standards on them. Go and look at every cable in your house and make notes. Get back to me after you have a tally. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Why would you stupidly imagine that there would be wires with foreign standards marked on them? House wiring has to be up to specific NZ standards, that means the wire has to be of a specific (metricated) standard, which AWG doesn't meet. I actually do have two cables right here on equipment I've just imported from the US - as they have the wrong plugs on them I'll have to either cut the US plugs off and replace them with NZ plugs (circa $9-) or buy replacement cables with the right plugs (circa $5-) It's not a hard call.
Greg.P.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:30:07 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Foreign? Why, Greg. Even metric is foreign to New Zealand. Did you invent some standard or other or adopt a foreign one?
Don't bother to answer. Everyone here knows the answer.

Go on now. Inventory every cable and wire in your house and get back to me with the tally. My guess is you already did a peek on a few and found out that I was right. It's all right, Greg. You can save face by simply remaining silent. Or, you can lie about what you find. However, full points for admitting you had some AWG cables in hand with US plugs on them. Oh, by the way. Those are also used in Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong, mate. Chances are you got them from one of those sources rather than the US. But, you hate America so just carry on with your fantasy. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

You're _foreign_ Ray - anywhere outside the US you're foreign, that's how the word works. Just because you yanks think it is demeaning doesn't change it's usage. <sheesh>

No Ray, it is an _international_ standard. _American_ (wire gauge) standard is foreign because it pertains only to the USa.

We do have 'X sheep lengths' but we only use that on yank tourists.

Given your ongoing stupidity I'm beginning to doubt that. However 299,999,999 other yanks can't be that stupid.

Your guess is up to your usual standard - totally wrong.

I got them from Sherline at the beginning of the week. (that's a US lathe and milling machine maker who makes an Australian designed lathe)

Why would I hate "America"? I certainly hate some of the crimes you commit around the world in your efforts to spread terrorism as widely as possible, but I have no problem with the USa as a whole, nor with it's citizens outside of that one area.
Regards, Greg.P.
Why don't you guys get a room? And a couple of sheep.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

You and Ray need one each?
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:53:23 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Now, this is about as ignorant a statement as you have ever made. If you don't use the AWG standard, how do you convert to metric? Think about it.
Never mind. You're not able. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

It's a statement of fact, you idiot.

I don't use an AWG standard - if I were to find a piece of wire marked AWG in my hand I would have to look it up in a table, or measure it, to work out what it's characterisics were.

Look at it the other way around - if you found a piece of metric marked wire, would you work to Metric standards or would you find out it's equivalent in AWG standard?
Don't bother, you're not intelligent enough to understand the question.
I don't use the AWG code because I don't know what it is. I don't need to know what the code is because I work in metrics or absolutes.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:12:33 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

When I use metric wire, I conform to the metric standard. See how easy that was? When you use AWG, the wire and you both conform to the AWG standard. Even if you convert it, you still had to rely on the standard or your calculations would be wrong. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Err Ray, I just told you I don't know what the AWG standard is. How can I work to it? I would just measure the wire diameter and work to metric standards.
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:51:24 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Err, well, Greg, you do have to know the conversion factors based on both standards to do the math.

No you wouldn't. The wire diameter is only part of it. What about stranded wire? There are many diameters in there and the average is the AWG number, not the actual measured diameter.
I'll tell you what, Greg. You can pretend to be as dumb as you want regarding this issue from here on out. You and your wrong headed pals who are e-mailing me are still as wrong as you can be. Perhaps that's even you mailing me under a false name since I have your mail blocked.
You now have the floor, the last word and everything. Nice how you managed to take an honest question which was answered perfectly and turn in into another of your off-topic war rants and idiotic theory sessions. You always seem to do that and then scratch your head in wonder that you wind up in kill files. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I don't know the AWG standards - I don't need to know the AWG standards, I just measure the wire size and treat it as metric. AWG is a limited use foreign standard and as such is irrelevant to me.

If it was important to me I'd measure the individual strands and multiply by the number contained.

Excuse me! I use my own name (Greg.Procter) and press <reply> to respond to you.

Sorry, I thought you were an obnoxious insulting idiot who got his kicks nitpicking my attempts to give genuine practical advice to people who asked for advice - my mistake.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:54:44 +1200, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No, Greg. I answered his question perfectly and you turned it into another of your political, America hating rants. No surprise there. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I replied that Brawa offers suitable wire in multiple colours.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:16:15 +0800, Ray Haddad wrote:

It's an oxymoron in Utah.
--
Steve

"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote:

I didn't know that! So I just divide it by 161.29 to get a useful figure?
Greg.P.