Tight radius question

Out of lurk mode here.... I'm considering adding a Rivarossi 60' heavyweight baggage car to the consist that runs on our small under-the-Christmas-tree layout, but I have a question. Does anyone know if this car with six-wheeled trucks will track in 15" radius turns? The car would be perfect for our layout -- a small branch line in 1931 in the Nort Carolina Piedmont area. Any info greatly appreciated.

Michael Valinis

Reply to
Michael Valinis

Can't say for sure, but trying to get a 60' car with six-wheeled trucks around a 15" radius curve is really pushing the limits.

Just for starters, six-wheeled trucks require more setback from the car's ends than would the four-wheeled sort, and *that* means that the car's couplers will sit noticably further to the outside of the track's centerline on curves than will the couplers of your other cars and your engine. This will result in repeated derails if the difference exceeds the swing of the couplers.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

It will probably work, but you're going to have a bit of overhang even with a 60 foot car. I wonder, would using something smaller like the Roundhouse Overton cars look a lot better?

Jim

Reply to
Jim