Track standards for larger scales

[ ... ]

There is lots of commercially available live steam in gauge 1 at 1.75"/45mm.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_railway_scales
That will tell you what they're called. Then you can search for the standards. 2.5" looks like NEM gauge II.
The International Brotherhood of Live Steamers (IBLS) has wheel and track standards, but I don't know if they go down to 2.5"
You might try this guy: http://www.friendsmodels.com/home.html I saw some of his stuff last month, and he had a few 1/2" scale castings and drawings. He might point you to standards, and maybe sell you some castings.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu wrote:

Terrific, many thanks.
Dan
Dan,

I've just latched on to this thread and there are track standards for 2.5" gauge in the UK - now known as Gauge 3
http://www.gauge3.co.uk/standards.htm
These are for 'scenic' model railways.
If you want to design track for passenger hauling, then you woudl tend to build to heavier standards. Here's a UK page which deals with UK standards. I think you have slightly different gauges in the US - like 4 3/4" instead of 5" and 7 1/2" instead of 7 1/4" (depending on which coast of the US you are on).
http://www.colinusher.info/Livesteam/3std.html
Jim.