Train show vendors

On 28 Mar 2007 07:13:21 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com"
No, they are worried about collectability. You may have noticed that some
of this stuff is quite expensive.

I'll guess this is who is being referred to: A fairly current TV show "Monk" stars Tony Shalub (sp?) who is a compulsive neat freak cop who can't leave things where they are. They MUST be arranged according to his fetish.
i.e. - While waiting for the doctor he mixes blood samples so they are all the same hieght in the tubes. (As if multiple blood samples would be left with, yet another, patient.)
Of course, he is brilliant and solves all the difficult crimes.
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
snipped-for-privacy@but.us.chickens says...

As mentioned in the other reply. Mr. Monk is an obsessive-complusive-disorder afflicted detective in the USA Network series Monk. He is always cleaning his hands after handling things and shaking hands with other people.
http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk /
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312172 /
The series started in 2002 and will enter its sixth season in July.
On 27 Mar 2007 02:47:41 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com"

Did it even occur to you that the gloves are to protect the *merchandise* from dirt, oil, and fingerprints?
No, I suppose something so simple wouldn't occur to a top-poster...
It would have if you hadn't lanched into a racist rant about Chinese manufacturers.
Spender wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com spake thus:
[rearranged to eliminate top-posting]

If by "racist rant" you mean this that Spender posted

then I think you may be mistaking for racism what is really a pretty cogent comment on the Brave New World Economy, in which Chinese workers really do slave for 20 cents an hour producing our steamers and such.
--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
David Nebenzahl wrote:

If by "racist rant" you mean this that Spender posted
[...] The stuff was, in all likelihood, manufactured, handled, and packaged by some Chinese worker making 20 cents an hour for God's sake. If > they won't allow *you* to examine it with gloved hands, they're either

"then I think you may be mistaking for racism what is really a pretty cogent comment on the Brave New World Economy, in which Chinese workers really do slave for 20 cents an hour producing our steamers and such.

Only if you are trying to manufacture an offense. You'd do better hijacking some sailors in international waters than riding this lame excuse.

Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania
and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information
Manufacture?
If one was talking about using gloves to avoid messing up a model then you would talk about that; it wouldn't occur to one to include a long rant about Chinese workers.
Doing so would be totally out of context regarding that concept. It's only makes sense in the context of being a racist launching into a bigoted diatribe about the models being infected by Chinese workers.
Paul Newhouse wrote:

On 29 Mar 2007 22:43:09 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com"

Idiot.
If that were were the case, that, rather than a racist rant about Chinese workers ought to have been mentioned. DUH!
"I wanna go back to Dixie, Take me back to dear ol' Dixie, That's the only li'l ol' place for li'l ol' me. Old times there are not forgotten, Whuppin' slaves and sellin' cotton, And waitin' for the Robert E. Lee. (It was never there on time.)"
--Tom Lehrer
Spender wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:19:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Monk is an obessive/compulsive detective.

How many times are you going to wash your hands at a train meet? Keep in mind that the merchandise can get dirt and grease on your hands. It's much easier to wipe neoprene gloves clean than to wash your hands after every loco you pick up.

Train shows are filthy places. Most dealers take a dump and don't wash their hands, then eat and hold your money.
-- "In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I will bomb the cities of Vietnam, defoliate the jungles, herd the population into concentration camps and turn the country into a wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do that. Let ME do it.'"
- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost Authority."

Train shows are filthy places. Most dealers take a dump and don't wash their hands, then eat and hold your money.
And as a train show vendor, you speak from first (dirty) hand experience?
Frank A. Rosenbaum spake thus:

Frank: Please learn to recognize when you're replying to a troll.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I wonder who is using up all the paper towels in the dealer restroom?

Only once (after eating that glazed donut in the moring) or maybe twice (if you have a messy hamburger and greasy fries). Not before touching each loco, silly!
I haven't seen or touched merchandise at model shows that would dirty my hands enough to transfer dirt on things I touch later.
Hey, if you feel that rubber gloves are the way to go, by all means wear them. But be prepared to get some strange looks from other attendees and dealers. You'll probably hear some proctologist jokes too. Bend over mister! :-)
Peteski
On 29 Mar 2007 16:21:15 -0700, Peter W. wrote:

http://f2.org/humour/songs/crs.html
--
Steve

That's okay. None of the dealer's seemed to mind my conscientious approach. Especially when I wanted to pull a car out of the box and the plastic so I could examine both sides. It meant no fingerprints or smudges for the eventual buyer.
I guess I am pretty Monk-ish about trains. I keep my own trains as flawless as possible - dusting and cleaning them regularly when they are on the track, and keeping all others stored in a dust free environment.
I have no intention of ever selling them. But if I kick the bucket, and my son or daughter isn't interested in the hobby, my wife can get top dollar for them.