Weathering Model Steam Locos

Old fruit, we all defer to your superior skills and expertise when it comes to weathering. Nothing comes close to your innovative use of real dust, real cobwebs and real birdshit to weather your models.

All the best,

Expert Newton.

Reply to
mark_newton

How interesting. I too had some experience using real bird droppings on some of my models this year during our Northern Hemisphere Spring. I can't say that I was all that enthused about it though. I discovered the "presents" in my workshop and noted that some "deposits" had been made on several of my model locos and some cars. Alas, I, in my ignorance, was unaware of the use of this substance for weathering, so I cleaned everything and forgot about it. Someone must have left the door open and a bird had got in, I thought. Two days later - - more deposits had been made to the account. Again, cleaned up. Next afternoon - - more deposits. What the hell is going on here?

The next day was a 'work in the workshop all day' day, and it was then that the mystery was solved. It seems that a pair of wrens had been he-ing and she-ing in the vicinity and had decided to set up housekeeping in my workshop. Somehow they had discovered that they could come and go by wriggling under the door and around the rubber threshold that makes the weather seal, and had built a nest up high on top of some cabinetry that is over my workbench.

Well, I didn't like the idea of them using the door that way, since the cat likes to camp out at that spot, and I was certain that she would ruin their day sooner or later. Entry and exit by such a method is blind, as the threshold is a piece of thick rubber that is contained in a shoe with weather stripping to keep it from drafting. You go through on faith, not knowing what lurks on the opposite side until you are through, very dangerous if you happen to be a bird and there is a cat on the other side.

So, I blocked the bottom of the door, and opened the upper sash of a window about two inches and pegged it so that it wouldn't move. The "couple" quickly discovered the new entry and began using it instead. After that I did not observe the birds trying to use the door. They were happier with the window arrangement. I moved stuff around to make them a flyway so that they wouldn't crap on my models any more and we were all happy until the chicks were fledged. Chicks left home, "mom & pop" split and I cleaned up the nest. Not that I don't like birds, mind you, but I am going to have to figure out a way to prevent them from moving back in next year. Putting up a birdhouse is not the answer, since the more houses you build, the more birds you attract. I'm thinking, maybe I can figure out a way to hire one of the owls that live in the area to set up camp in plain sight of the door. Or maybe one of the Red-tailed hawks that live over at the edge of the wood near my property line.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Too bad you couldn't get them to work on the railroad. (G) You don't have to have a live owl to scare the birds away. I have seen plastic owls at the local garden center. Just put one on the roof of your house and it should keep the birds away.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Had to change your e-mail again already, eh?

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Stopped by a gas station up in the Orange County area and saw that they had

4 of the plastic owls on the canopy. On top of one of them was a seagull just sitting there!

Bob May

Bad luck Mark, your repainted preserved locomotives weather nothing like steam era locomotives, because the paint chemical formula's have changed. There is no link between your full size NSW tourist locomotive painting and weathered US steam era locomotives other than in your mind.

Anthing to do with 3801 limited expert. Still waiting to see your US models "correctly weathered". Stick to the thread subject you started.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Why waste my time? You know sweet FA about US steam.

You said it! You have no properly weathered models, so by your own admission you have no expertise. Come back and join the discussion when you have.

Reply to
mark_newton

Better still why dont you stop responding to Marks posts. I thought that you said that you were not going to respond to anything that Mark posts in these forums. You cant help yourself can you.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

Wrong. Not all of them were repainted with modern paint.

Not all were NSW tourist locos. You introduced the imagined link, based on a false assumption.

Which vehicles? What was incorrect about the paint schemes?

Don't hold your breath.

I am. The thread drift is all down to you.

Reply to
mark_newton

I guess he can't.

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Personally , I like what looks good. Many things in our models are overdone , wrong color , not prototypical , too large . too small. After many years of conventions and touring layouts it seems as though the 'purists' and rivet counters have the least to show for their efforts. Just my opinion.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Check your facts before posting Greg. I never said such a thing. Another biased post from yourself defending the indefensible foul mouthed bully . The fact is Mark Newton on at least 3 occasions stated he would not respond to my posts. You can't trust any thing he says. Why not complain about Mark Newton the foul mouthed bully. I am still waiting to see if Mark the expert bully has ever weathered a model. He is good at criticising other peoples modelling efforts, (NSW AMRA club layout, John Pryke's models and my models), yet has nothing better to show. And while were here, where are your examples of weathered locomotives Greg, or does your daddy do all your model building and painting.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Biased Post = One that does not agree with Flynn.

The fact is that you had decided to respond to Rings posts in this thread. Don't try to re-write history dude.

I didn't read Marks comments on the AMRA layout as a criticism, you did!!

What has my old man got to do with this?? Are you loosing the arguement opium.

I do 1.5" to the foot these days. So I dont have to put up with gits like you. If you want to have a look at the loco I am doing it is at

But then again it would be an inferior, boring prototype in your eyes.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

"Terry Fruitcake Flynn" dribbles more verbal diarrhoea

Can't you handle the heat and a bit of colourfull language and 4 letter words, it just proves that your an up tight wowser.

Gee your a nit picking wanker.Let it rest for god's sake, your egging him on, and when mark replys to you, you get all upset.Sorry but I agree with everything Mark and Greg has ever said to you, your no bettwer than John Coyle.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

And you can't trust what you say either WEIRDBEARD, go have a shave for gods sake.

He can't help himself if he's related to John Coyle

Now your starting a flame war terry, do you get off on starting things.

Yeah he looses the argument as soon as he opens his big mouth

Reply to
Nathan Cox

And how the hell do you know he doesn't have any weathered US models, do you have a crystal ball do you.Once again your peddling crap again.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Yes, that's probably true. It's far quicker to make things up as you go along, or simply repeat what others have done before you, than to research your models and get them right.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Greg, for once Flynn has got something right, as hard to believe as that may be. My comments about the AMRA HO layout *were* intended as a criticism. It's something straight out of the 1950s.

No doubt Flynn had a hand in designing it's antedeluvian electrical system...

Reply to
mark_newton

Yes Terry thats your opinion, but like I have told you over the years, "Each to their own" or can you understand that concept.Are you that stupid

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox