Weathering Model Steam Locos

Who gives a f#ck what Terry thinks, you just keep on building that Shay mate, just make sure Im there when it makes its trial run.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Calm down, Terry, you're gonna get yourself worked up over nothing. It's pretty well known that every model builder has an "Achilles heel", and with weathering falling into the category of artistic ability, it's hardly worth arguing. Some can, some can't. I don't try to weather locomotives, I have a buddy that does that for me, but on the flip side, he doesn't try to make gearboxes for Athern hustler conversions, that's my department.

I have no idea what a Lima 44 is, in my motley collection of locos I only have one Lima, an 0-4-0, but I'll state that how well or poorly any loco runs depends on how ambitious the owner is, results being worth the effort being an entirely separate matter.

This ain't life or death, it's a blooming hobby.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard

No, just dotty from wiring all those damned switches to run DC cab control.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Terry Flynn wrote: >

Where are *your* weathered models, Flynn? I see no reference to them on your highly-touted web page.

Reply to
mark_newton

Well spoken Rich but unfortunately with Terry is that it don't sink into his pee sized brain.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Maybe he's ran out of real bird shit to keep weathering them.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Been following this for a while, basically hasn't changed since my alter ego posted here. (Been off line for more than six months, better my LHS gets the money than SBC.)

Terry has a lot of good stuff on his site, regardless of what the DCC only people think. Outside of political science, there is no such thing as worthless information, to someone, almost anything is priceless.

Think maybe it's time people started to look at "burying the hatchets", and I don't mean in each others head. I've seen a pretty complete lack of wisdom from all sides, don't think much more is really necessary.

Sorry for the crossposting, but i have absolutely no idea where this is originating from. My apology to those groups that might take offense.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard

Richard, I agree, it's completely unnecessary. I've repeatedly offered Flynn invitations to come over for a beer and a barbie, and to settle our differences once and for all. So far, my offers have all been rejected.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Mark,

If Richard has "absolutely no idea where this is originating from" suggesting that you two should get together and have a "barbie" could have all sorts of unintended connotations for him. Of course he might actually mean that he isn't aware of what began the dispute in the first place, but I prefer image of the two of you playing with your Barbie's. I wonder how long it would take for one of you to decide that you prefer Bratz?

Reply to
Trevor Hodges

I think he was talking about a barbeque, eerrrr derrrr

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Meaning newsgroup, it's crossposted to three of them, no idea which is the origin.

From my days of amateur radio, I'm pretty familiar with Aussie slang, Well aware that a barbie is BBQ here.

However, if she's soft, warm, female and only slightly weathered*, I wouldn't care what her name is.

((*) Slightly weathered = same age and mileage as a UP Big Boy.)

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Terry probably weathers his barbie the same way he weathers his model trains lol hehehehehe

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

Yeah I always have thought AMRA was a bit old fashioned in its thinking. I note the discussion on the use of PLC's in dc control and after programing the things You could still reach a valid conclusion that a carrier control based system would be far simpler in implementation than a combined plc/dc. I know of one person ( recovering from brain surgery) who was going to use dc but is now going dcc simply becase it it is simpler in operation and there is less wiring involved.

More likely than not.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

Each to their own Terry, im happy with the way my layout , locomotives and rollingstock runs for the time being.Why can't you get that into your pee sized brain.You may have that opinion of Lima 44's keep it yourself, why critise someone else's efforts, its only a bloody model its not life or death you know.BUILD A F#&KING BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox

For some, probably. For one with time, patience and ability, examining the mechanism carefully to find out what isn't functioning properly and doing what rework is necessary, IF they have the proper equipment and skills, has for me always given me a good running loco, and it didn't matter who made it.

IF, however, youi're a rivet counter, then no amount of rework is going to make it acceptable in your eyes, simply because you demand a level of perfection beyond the original design. In that case, and it applies to less than 1% of model builders, don't buy it, buy something else. Most are happy to have something that looks like maybe it's in scale, has a llittle detail, and runs well.

Your slamming of the Lima 44 has been going on for a long time, BUT. First, it's not your loco, it's someone else's. Any arguments you have beyond this point are null and void before you state them. You can sit back, look insulted, and try to pass, "It's only the standards I,,,", but don't forget, they're YOUR standards and mean exactly diddly squat where someone else is concerned.

IT's a blooming hobby, something one does to please himself, unless he's a damned fool idiot and tries to please someone else. If I tried to please all the critics my locos have fallen under, I'd be right where they are, no running locos and nothing to run them on.

My hopes were that you'd see reason in my first posting in this thread, and let it die. I see that isn't going to happen.

Rich.

(Email addy partially munged, I don't know who's going to get it if you reply by email.)

Reply to
Richard

My thought on this statement "absolutely no idea where this is originating from" is probably based on the fact of the heading of this thread. "weathering model steam locomotives"

Pardon my ignorance but there been hardly a mention about weathering, let alone of steam engines.

Personally, I think its time that a bit of sense from all sides started to come into play. If people cannot come togather & enjoy the hobby, share their interests, giving advice & help, then perhaps the group may have a need to refocuse.

I have not been a member that long, & open threads that are of interest to me, & leave the others alone. I hope that I can contribute as well as learn, & if thats not possible????????????????????????????/

Colin Hussey

Reply to
a6et

The thread is some 80 or more postings long, and most of them are concerned with weathering, just have to go to Google to look it up.

As two of the groups are concerned with Aussie rail models, it's possible it could have originated in any of the three. IF I knew which to trim, I would. Cross posting isn't something I like to do. It usually ends up irritating someone. I won't make any statement about where the thread went bad, but it's not hard to find. Long and senseless hillbilly style feud that should end.

But it probably won't.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard

The thread originated in rec.models.railroad. I started it.

Reply to
mark_newton
Reply to
mark_newton

In recent years, yes. Prior to that, I worked with steam locomotives in everyday, regular service - locos that weren't kept particularly clean. Even in preservation, our locos got very dirty very quickly, especially if we were running a lengthy trip over a couple of days or longer. When you're away from home, keeping the things spotlessly clean is not a high priority. I've also had the good fortune to have seen regular steam operations in places like India and China. Keeping the things clean was not a high priority in those countries, either.

It's not so much the exaggeration, it's the spurious justification for the exaggeration that bothers me.

Wolf, I try to stick to things that I know to be prototypical, either from my own experience, or from by research. How other people do their modelling is their own affair. It's the dissemination of "factoids" and model railroad urban myths that make me unhappy.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton