Where do you have your layout?

I built a 12' X 24' foot building seperate from the house, finished on the inside, carpeted and air conditioned with heat. Building was completed Aug
this year. I am currently building a version of the Moth Lake and Mount Ahab RR. Layout is 12' X 18' with the first 6 feet for train workshop area and entry. Approx 50% of the track is laid.
Bill Cabot, Arkansas

-
iarwain snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

In a finished upstairs room in a 1.5 story home. The low roof causes the upper outside walls to be sloped, with about a 4' vertical sidewall. The train layout 'case' sets against the sidewall (the layout is fully enclosed, with a solid top and sliding plex doors for viewing and access). This gives a track height of only about 36" above the floor. It's a 'setting down' layout ... the operators all set in roll-about office chairs.
Access is only somewhat limited by the enclosure, which is maximum of 30" deep (from the back wall), usually less. Interior height is about 15", with the plex doors being about 12" high. The effect is of an enclosed diorama. The enclosure keeps out perhaps 95% of the dust, and almost totally eliminates damage to the layout between running sessions. Since my scenery is about 90% complete, and highly detailed, this is MUCH appreciated.
Overall, it works out very well. There are some trade-offs, but I'd definitely use the same basic design again.
Dan Mitchell ===========
Like all prior attempts, my present railroad is located in part of an attached garage. Temperature extremes can cause major discomfort, but, the layout is usable for most of the year. Floor space devoted to the railroad is approximately 20' x 11', however, the layout's shape is rather irregular and it is multilevel as well. Hope this helps. Thank you. Jerry iarwain snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

iarwain snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Outside. I have about 4 acres of space available, and the wisdom not to try to fill the space with track. The scenery was already there, so I didn't have to build it. The lighting is good when the sun is out. Mosquitos can be fierce sometimes.
Dust isn't a problem; the rain washes it away. I did have a large tree limb fall and smash about half of my 16' wooden trestle this summer though. Right now the track is buried under leaves. They'll stay till it's warm enough to be outside comfortably again in the spring.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu wrote:

What scale?
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Scale? Surely, you jest.
The track is Gauge 1 - 45mm/1.75". In the grand tradition of these sized trains, scale is pretty nebulous and/or confused. Mostly 1:32 to 1:20; I don't mind mixing. That means they're bigger than O Scale, but too small to ride on.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu wrote:

Since you mentioned having 4 acres I thought you might be running live steam. If I had that sort of space, and the money to play with, I'd certainly consider it.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

I do run live steam, but in small scale. I had considered a larger scale, but my workshop is too small. My terrain is also nowhere near flat, so constructing a roadbed would have been a tremendous amount of work, and I don't have the money to play with to have it done.
I do belong to a large scale live steam club, but since their focus seems to have shifted mostly to lawn care and running diesels, I haven't spent much time there.

They're too busy talking on their cell phones to notice them.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu

Building it in a 25' x 27' addition built onto the house for this purpose. Modeling Milwaukee Road electrified Coast Division circa 1948 plus small logging operation.
(to reply remove Boeing jet from address) ______________ C. Marin Faure Seattle, Washington Bellingham, Washington