Where do you have your layout?

99% of basements I've seen have no egress other than via an internal stairway to the house above. Not many people could even get out via the typical basement windows.

Is anyone familiar with any actual fire code requirments for basement egress via windows?

Curious. Bill S.

Reply to
Bill Sohl

The G&Ds in the list on the web page aren't necessarily in any order of priority. I'd have to go back through them in order to determine that.

Sounds logical.

Reply to
Rick Jones

What scale?

Reply to
Rick Jones

downstairs in a 10x13 room in a 4yr old basement with staging in the next room N Scale :o)

Reply to
allenby

Building it in a 25' x 27' addition built onto the house for this purpose. Modeling Milwaukee Road electrified Coast Division circa 1948 plus small logging operation.

(to reply remove Boeing jet from address) ______________ C. Marin Faure Seattle, Washington Bellingham, Washington

Reply to
C. Marin Faure

As far as I know, in Chippewa County, Wisconsin, basement egress windows are only required if there are rooms down there used for sleeping...yes, most people would be hard pressed (pun intended) to escape through a normal basement window. If you're spending a lot of time down there and worry about fire, you might want to get a good fire extinguisher to at least give you a chance to make a path out the regular stairs...

Scott

Bill Sohl wrote:

Reply to
Scott

Follow-up suggestion.

Looking on Rick's website at his Draft #1 I'd suggest a getting started approach as follows:

Looking at Draft 1, let's label the diagram circles (5 of them) as follows:

Circle A nearest the northwest corner by the Electric Panel Circle B - Directly below (south of) circle A Circle C - In the northeast corner Circles D & E - On the pininsular extension

To get started, consider doing the following:

Drop Circle B entirely. This will then allow the southwest corner of the room to be a nice "visitors lounge section.

Also, for starters, drop the penninsular with circles D & E This can be added later as you build out the RR.

Doing the above leaves you with the north wall with circles A and C and about a 25 foot area between them. You can start with coinstruction based only on that area.

Another, smaller, starting concept would be to create the circle A section on a "non-permananet" base which can be initially placed closer to Circle C than you might want as a final plan, but which would allow you to start building and completeng more quickly an initial loop for running trains. Circle A could be

3 meters (about 10 feet) from circle C to start and then, at some future point you move Circle A left and add an additional segment between the existing trackwork and the new location for Cirle A.

Just some thoughts. Happy RRing Bill S.

Reply to
Bill Sohl
[...]

Scale? Surely, you jest.

The track is Gauge 1 - 45mm/1.75". In the grand tradition of these sized trains, scale is pretty nebulous and/or confused. Mostly 1:32 to 1:20; I don't mind mixing. That means they're bigger than O Scale, but too small to ride on.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Since you mentioned having 4 acres I thought you might be running live steam. If I had that sort of space, and the money to play with, I'd certainly consider it.

Reply to
Rick Jones

I do run live steam, but in small scale. I had considered a larger scale, but my workshop is too small. My terrain is also nowhere near flat, so constructing a roadbed would have been a tremendous amount of work, and I don't have the money to play with to have it done.

I do belong to a large scale live steam club, but since their focus seems to have shifted mostly to lawn care and running diesels, I haven't spent much time there.

They're too busy talking on their cell phones to notice them.

Reply to
<wkaiser