Ammeter

Gents,

(You can tell I'm having a play can't you ;-))

I've just spent the last 15 mins fettling an ancient GEC 250vac voltmeter, and have discovered in the same box an FP 60 amp ammeter. One problem, theres no markings on it except CT50/5, and no shunt. How can I tell what size shunt it needs?

Reply to
andy G

Continuous Transformer ratio 50:5 Designed to be worked by a winding around the current carrying cable.. For more you need an expert. hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

it doesn't use a shunt. it uses a current transformer with a rating of 50 amps AC and they normally have a secondary to the meter that's 5 amps full scale at

50 amps through the eye of the transformer. the single wire through the eye is the primary. the meter is usually a 5 amp meter. be careful not to put current through the eye with the meter side disconnected. the secondary (meter side) can safely be shorted if you need to run it with the meter removed. sammmm (a lurker)

Reply to
SAMMMM