Cheffins Northern Vintage Sale

Looking at Cheffins web site, there were some engine bargins to be had at thier sale at Harrogate last Saturday. Mostly air cooled, but different to the run of the mill.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

Forgot the link:-

andyengine

There's some good stuff there at refreshingly sensible prices.

Interesting to see one of the Douglas engines identified as a Williamson - ISTR Williamson motorcyles were a Douglas built 'luxury' brand (ie as Lexus is to Toyota). The engine concerned has a cooling fan and bevel driven starting arrangement which makes me think it originated from one of Douglas' pallet trucks or similar, I'd be very interested to know more about the Williamson connection. The C. 1924 Douglas is also interesting and I can't make up my mind about the price - yes, they are uncommon and I have seen much higher asking prices, but I would have thought they appealed to a fairly limited number of SE enthusiasts.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

As a slight aside who knows what LEXUS stands for.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

From Google:

Some believe the name comes from the combination of "luxury" and "elegance"; others that it is derived from 'luxury exports to the US'

From Wikipedia:

In 1986, Toyota's longtime advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi formed a specialized unit, Team One, to handle marketing for the new luxury brand.[4] Image consulting firm Lippincott & Margulies was hired to develop a list of

219 prospective names; Vectre, Verone, Chaparel, Calibre and Alexis were chosen as top candidates. While Alexis quickly became the front runner (possibly due to the association with the Alexis Carrington character on the popular 1980s primetime drama Dynasty) and later morphed to Lexus, the name has been attributed to the combination of the words "luxury" and "elegance."[6] According to Toyota, the name has no specific meaning and is just meant to be pleasing and easy to remember.

Take your pick.......

Reply to
vernon

Well done first prize goes to you. :-))